We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a nice pub meal

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a nice pub meal

We are staying at the Ramada London Gatwick hotel for one evening and was wondering if anyone could recommend a nearby pub where we can get something to eat instead of paying extortionate hotel prices. We will be staying next Monday, 30th April.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

Will you have a car ? If so, there's some great pubs within 15 mins drive. In not then The Six Bells at Horley is an ok alternative. Let us know.

Mike

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes we will have a car so not a problem travelling about. I'll check out the Six Bells in the meantime.

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

The Hillside Inn in Crawley which isn't to far from your hotel is quite nice.If you eat before 5pm Mon-Sat,you can get a 3 course set menu meal for £10 or 2 courses for £8.Good value I think and food of the main menu is reasonably priced aswell.

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

The Half Moon in Charlwood, is only a short drive away, and does good food with friendly service.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

Is this the Ramada in Tinsley Lane or the High Street?

With all due respect to the other posters, Jesseche's suggestion of The Hillside is by far the most sensible. Personally I don't understand why places in Charlwood and Horley are being mentioned when the hotel is in Crawley - there are an ample number of suitable venues much nearer.

If you in the Tinsley Lane hotel (which is likely), the The Hillside is your best bet. Though you also have The Shipley Bridge and The Tavern on the Green near too which are also good (and slightly nearer).

If its the High Street, then your in the town centre. Decent good value food can be found in The Olde Punch Bowl which is across the street.

Whatever the case, you've got good places on your doorstep.

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes Dust we are staying at the Ramada in Tinsley Lane.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

Whilst you can certainly get something to eat in Crawley, you can do far better.

I'd drive down the M23/a23 to the attractive village green of Staplefield (20 mins) and have a meal in either "The Victory" or the very friendly "Jolly Tanners" : http://www.horshampub.co.uk/jolly-tanners.php

Mike

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

No doubt you can 'do better' if your prepared to travel but while there is a high proportion of dross in Crawley (I know, I've lived there most of my life), you can still find a good meal there if you know where to go.

No doubt the places argyle_mikey has suggested are good, but assuming MissChampers is unfamiliar to the area, I thought it prudent to mention places of quality in Crawley, which do actually exist.

I'd argue that if a 20 minute journey isn't an issue, head to Horsham.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 16:43
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

Horsham has excellent restaurants - a new one seems to open every day at the moment - so that's a good call. Its pubs are generally a disappointment though - "The Black Jug" is reliable for food but "The Olive Branch" is probably more of a restaurant these days : tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g580419-…

My favourite curry house (should the need take you) is The New Curry Centre in London Road (plenty of parking nearby) and I have always sworn by The River Kwai Thai restaurant, although I seem to be in something of a minority amongst my mates !

Let us know where you go after all this debate !

Mike

10. Re: Looking for a nice pub meal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Crawley