We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corsica in July

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Corsica in July

Thinking really far ahead - my fiance and I are thinking of taking our honeymoon in Marseille/Corsica/Sicily in July 2019. I've read that August is peak travel time, so we are trying to condense everything into July. We are mainly interested in beaches, scenery, and food. How long would you recommend staying in Corsica? What would the limitations be if we do not rent a car? We could rent one but are hesitant as neither of us have ever driven a car in another country. Thank you for any input!

Edited: 04 June 2018, 08:43
Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Corsica
Corsica
France
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
9 replies to this topic
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Corsica in July

I am travelling this July :) so thinking quite much in crunch - and will benefit from any replies to this chain :)

well travelled...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corsica in July

Well August is the peak of the peak but July is high season in any of those places. You'll only find lower prices later in September or before mid June.

We're currently working our way through attractive islands around the world and have spent time in each of your destinations except Corsica where we are headed this month.

If you could say where you're coming from and an objective, I'd be happy to help you. By objective I mean 'see a bit', 'understand the culture', or just veg. out on a beach of beaches. You'll have a much happier trip if you decide at least a theme first. Our honeymoon was 4 weeks on the coast of Spain.

Takes at least a month to skim Scicily, 3 weeks minimum for Corsica, and I could spend an interminable amount of time in the port area of Marseille. BUT you could see bits of each if you have a plan.

M

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Spain
Spain
Europe
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corsica in July

" except Corsica"

You're giving travel advice for a destination that you have never visited?

Pretty bizarre, don't you think?

Do you also write restaurant reviews for places that you have never dined at as well?

How in the world can you recommend 3 weeks on Corsica when you have never been there?

OK....some actual advice.

I wouldn't put Marseille on any list as a honeymoon destination.

It is large, gritty port city with some of the worst traffic in Europe

There are countless more "honeymoon worthy" destinations along the Cote d'Azur.....Cannes.....Nice....Antibes, to name just a few.

I would absolutely drop Marseille from the plan.

Corsica is just really a place where a car is highly recommended.

Public transport is dismal at best.

There is an area in the north where you travel disjointedly by bus / train....

But if you want to explore the beautiful south of Corsica....you need a car.

Beaches on Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily are lovely.

Food along the Cote d'Azur is obviously French.

Corsican food is heavily influenced by Italian (Genoan) cuisine.

Getting from the Cote d'Azur to Corsica is easy....there are ferries from Nice.

Personally, I'd fly.

There are 4 airports on Corsica.

Getting from Corsica to Sicily is nowhere near as easy.

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Europe
Europe
World
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Antibes
Antibes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
well travelled...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corsica in July

Ha ha

Giving advice without knowing an objective or origin is what you criticize everyone else for. How come it's ok for you to do it now?

If you actually read, I didn't recommend Corsica at all.

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corsica in July

Well.....you didn't actually offer any usable / useful advice to the OP. at all.

I read very well, even though I sometimes struggle to understand when people lack the ability to communicate in written English.

I never said that you "recommended" Corsica.

What I did say is that you were giving travel advice regarding a destination that you have never visited.

According to you, that is a fact.

You posted that you have never been there.

And then you further posted your "recommended" time frame for a visit to Corsica.

Again....to a place that you have never been to.

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Corsica in July

Thanks to you both for the advice! I am still trying to gather ideas, so all of this is good to know. My fiance and I want to go somewhere with nice beaches and we mainly want to spend by time by the ocean, eating good food, and doing some cultural activities (more like perusing markets or visiting living history sites rather than museums). If it's better to stick to one place to be able to thoroughly explore in 3-4 weeks, we're totally open to that.

Thank you again!

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Corsica in July

We are going to Corsica on our honeymoon this July without a car and are travelling around. Hopefully will be able to provide you with some more information how it was etc. when we come back if it would be helpful?

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corsica in July

I think it depends how long you have, how far you are travelling to Corsica/Sicily and how much time you want to spend travelling once there. Sicily is amazing and you could easily spend a month there especially if you're interested in the Greek and Roman sites but if you're travelling far (? from Japan) I can understand why 2 different islands is an attractive idea. My understanding is that it's easier to travel around Sicily without a car than round Corsica (we always hire cars). Corsica has more beaches but if you decide to stick with Sicily you could go to the Aeolian islands some of which have great beaches (my sister went to one for part of her honeymoon).

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Aeolian Islands
Aeolian Islands
Islands of Sicily, Italy
Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corsica in July

I don't know if it's a seasonal thing or location based but when I was staying in Ile de Rousse, there were loads of Sea Urchins along the beach. Maybe a local knows a bit more ir something you might want to research.

Reply to: Corsica in July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted