We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

After having another thread go violently off the rails, I figure I'll be much more specific :)

ibis budget Issy Les Moulineaux Paris Ouest

Is it worth considering? I'll be in Paris July 5 to 10 with my wife and 6 yr old son. It is our first visit and we want to see all the regular touristy stuff. I *appreciate* good value, and really we only want the hotel for sleeping, showering and storage of our luggage... so I'm fine with basic.

Despite its low price of only C$75/nt (under €50), I think this place looks adorable, and clean and modern and very functional... and I think my kid would find it fun sleeping in a bed above his parents! It has a/c for the July heat. Of course it is small, and it is a bit further from the tourist sites. But it has a train directly adjacent to it so is the location so bad?

I'm hoping for advice on the location and whether this low-priced hotel/brand is something to avoid or not. Of course I realize that there are better hotels out there, so am I being blinded by the low price? Or should it be fine? I like to get the best "bang for the buck", as they say.

Put another way, is it so important to be located directly beside the Louvre (or whatever) and pay 5x to 10x as much vs 20 extra minutes on the metro? (am I underestimating the inconvenience of Paris public transit?)

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Issy-les-Moulineaux
Issy-les-Moulineaux
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
303 Reviews
Paris, France
68 replies to this topic
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

Two thoughts: are you happy with the reviews? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g19…

Do you realize that this isn't within the Paris arrondisements?

I'm a firm believer of staying as close to the central districts as one's budget permits - so that if you want to take a break during the day you can. If you're sticking with the IBIS brand, I'd suggest looking at the Montparnasse or Avenue d'Italie locations for a better balance of value vs. being closer to central.

Edited: 28 April 2018, 03:00
Mentioned in this post
The Paris Diner
The Paris Diner
119 Reviews
Paris, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,111 Reviews
Paris, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

You realize, I assume, that this hotel is not in actually Paris but outside the city?

It would not be a great choice of location, especially when traveling with a young child. Much better to be located in the city so you can go back to the hotel during the day if any of you need a rest, and to be in an area where you can easily walk to cafés and shops and some of the places you will want to see. This location is on the outskirts, not a location particularly convenient for visitors.

If you want something in this budget range (very low for a triple room in a convenient location in the city), a better option would be one of the private rooms at the Paris Generator hostel: https:/…

If you can spend more, there are many other hotels in the city that would be more convenient options.

(I suggested a much better hotel for families on the other discussion thread you started.)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
The Paris Diner
The Paris Diner
119 Reviews
Paris, France
Generator Hostel Paris
Generator Hostel Paris
1,622 Reviews
Paris, France
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

I'll address the subject of your 6 year old. While visiting most tourist sights, if he tires, you will be quite a distance from your hotel if you should want to travel back during the day for whatever reason. Check out Hotel du Quai Voltaire. Walking distance to many sights, the location is wonderful, the views fabulous, and, yes, it is more money.

I hope you find what you want and need and have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 28 April 2018, 03:05
Mentioned in this post
Hotel du Quai-Voltaire
Hotel du Quai-Voltaire
434 Reviews
Paris, France
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

If you are set on an IBIS budget, I'd probably prefer to stay at the Vincennes side of Paris, easy connections into Paris proper and plenty to see and do in the area, Château de Vincennes, Parc Zoologique, Bois de Vincennes etc, etc

Mentioned in this post
Vincennes
Vincennes
Val-de-Marne, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bois de Vincennes
Bois de Vincennes
332 Reviews
Paris, France
California
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

At the risk of throwing this thread violently off the rails... have you looked at AirBnB? Perhaps you can find a small apartment rental that will fit your needs? Of course, one with a 13-digit registration number ;)

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

@MSN110

Admittedly, I'm not clear on the significance of the arrondisements, at least not in the context of your reply. I understand WHAT they are (what the word means), but as a first timer... I'm not getting why it would matter if I was or wasn't in any given one?? I figured it was like NY, with the different boroughs. It doesn't really matter which you're in because you probably want to see something of each. So feel free to enlighten me :)

The reviews seemed fine to me. I haven't read through them exhaustively, but they appear mostly positive. I learned when I bought the highest rated toaster oven on Amazon that I can't depend on reviews lol

"take a break during the day"... that gives me some pause and something to think about. Frankly, when I traveled in the past I would have never considered going back to the hotel for a break. That seems counter intuitive to why I'm traveling. But... this will be my first trip with a kid in tow.

Could you more specifically define "central districts"?

I actually did a pretty exhaustive search of hotel options. I didn't really have a "budget", but once I saw literally over 100 properties under $100 (Canadian dollars because that's what expedia was showing me), I started to focus on those under $150 but with a user rating > 3.5. I ended up with over 100 properties and got overwhelmed. I then started to look at each's proximity to transit and (as a starting point) how long Google said it would take to get to the Eiffel Tower by transit. I still have 63 properties to choose from that are 3.5 rating, under $150, under 50 minutes to the tower and under 10 minute walk to a metro, RER or tram. After all that, I sorted by price and this IBIS was the first one and I kind of liked it.

But again, I've never been there.

Still, it is a 2 minute walk to the tram and only 26 minutes to the Tower... so how bad could the location possibly be?

Let me pose this another way... let's say I get a 400 euro/night hotel directly beside the Eiffel Tower and it is glorious, but now I'm over shopping in Little Italy (is that a thing? Just go with it) aren't I still in the exact same boat of having to take a train for half an hour to get back for the "break"? Is there really anything that "central" to everything when everything is so spread out?

Edited: 28 April 2018, 03:16
Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
122,044 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

If budget forces you out of Paris, Issy-les-Moulineaux is not a bad choice. The nearest RER station for fast trains into Paris (20 mins to, say, Invalides) is a bit of a walk but only 10 mins or so.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

@LovesSunnyIsles

"You realize, I assume, that this hotel is not in actually Paris but outside the city?"

No, I didn't really realize it wasn't considered part of Paris. But if a 2 minute walk gets you to a 25 minute train vs a 15 minutes walk to a 12 mijnute train... isn't that the same thing? I ruled out a LOT of places more central because (Google maps said) they are a longer way to a transit stop.

If it really is that far out, so be it.... it just seemed conveniently located (due to transit) and ticked a lot of boxes.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

@Annette C

what does the 13 digit number mean please?

Yes, I've looked at AirBNB but for the most part they were even further out and very few were close to transit. There isn't a lot available for my dates either. With so many hotel options, I tended away from AirBNB for this trip. I'll give it another look.

Mentioned in this post
Annette's Diner
Annette's Diner
4,099 Reviews
Marne-la-Vallee, France
Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?

@all... regarding budget...

I initially was expecting to pay the equivalent of $200/nt (130 EUR). There's no city in the world I've ever stayed where I couldn't find a reasonable hotel for under that. I only started looking at the much cheaper ones when I saw they were so plentiful. It becomes hard to spend $200 when I see $75 :)

So no, I'm not "forced" or "set" on an Ibis budget... I guess I was just seeing the transit as being quite convenient, lessening the negative impact of being "out of the city" (which I didn't realize didn't include where I was looking).

But the point about my kid tiring and such... I do have to consider that. I used to travel a lot with just my wife and I. We haven't gone anywhere of note since he was born. So thanks for that advice.

Reply to: Should i consider this IBIS budget for Paris?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted