We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I be concerned?

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Should I be concerned?

I booked a hotel in the 5th by email and gave my visa details to confirm but changed my mind after reading TA and other bad reviews ,and so emailed a few days later to cancel. I asked them to reply twice now, to acknowledge the cancellation, but no reply. Have I anything to be worried about with this?

Hotel Monge
Hotel Monge
#3 of 1,815 hotels in Paris
Hotel Fabric
Hotel Fabric
#6 of 1,815 hotels in Paris
Any City
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I be concerned?

Did you inquire about their cancellation policies before you made your booking? If so, I assume you did this by email too and would have this information and you have agreed to to abide by these rules. Even if you did not obtain this information they will enforce them and may have policies that do not allow you to cancel without being charged from 1 night to the full stay. If you have this information in an email and they charge your card I would assume you could dispute the charge with your credit card company and, if needed, use the email with the cancellation policy as support that you where within the cancellation policy agreement.

Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I be concerned?

pick up the phone and call

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I be concerned?

I phoned them. It seems that they cancelled it, just didn't bother to reply to my request for confirmation. The person who I had dealt with is on vacation I was told.

Now, I do want to book elsewhere but they all seem to do the same thing- ask for Visa details, even when booking through a booking org.

No cancellation policy is provided.

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I be concerned?

I booked through http://www.hotel-rates.com/france/paris/

The cancellation policy can be found on the website.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I be concerned?

Trip Adviser is great for finding hotels and in Paris there are scores that have a rating of 4 plus.

My advice is choose one for its location and stick with it even if you get a poor review later. You cant please everyone all of the time.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I be concerned?

coolumlady, you seem to be concerned about giving out your credit card info when booking. This is and has been standard proceedure for a very long time. It is standard proceedure so tha the hotel isn't left with a room at short notice and to ensure the customer's sertious intent.

In short, do your research before you book a room and stick with it.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I be concerned?

OK, all is well. I phoned the hotel in question and since then they have emailed me cancellation confirmation. I have since booked, and got the cancellation policy from another hotel.

Thanks all.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I be concerned?

Hey there - one thing I found challenging when I first started travelling was that, when I made bookings, hotels etc asked for the 3 digit security number on the reverse of the credit card. In Oz, we were told NEVER to give that out....but I have learned that it's standard practice in Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I be concerned?

by the by, giving out the 3-digit security card is common practice in the US, as well -- but only for phone and online purchases.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I be concerned?

Make sure you save the cancellation confirmation email and note the name of the person you talked to on the phone along with the date. We were charged by a hotel in Paris that we had cancelled with months before the cancellation deadline. The person cancelling it "forgot" to cancel it and they charged us for being a no show. We provided the email that confirmed our cancellation along with the cancellation policy they provided and finally got a refund on our credit card.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France