We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

Hello,

We are staying in Paris and a British tourist told us he was offered the choice to pay his hotel bill via credit card in Euros or British pounds. I know the Pound is weak but I'm not sure how this affects a credit card transaction.

I'd be grateful for any help.

CMTB

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Monge
Hotel Monge
#3 of 1,818 hotels in Paris
Hotel Fabric
Hotel Fabric
#6 of 1,818 hotels in Paris
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

Troll alert!

If this concerns "dynamic currency conversion" on a credit card, the answer is NO.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,373 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

You should *refuse* to pay any credit card bill in any currency other than the local one. Otherwise, your c.c. company will enjoy charging you the 'convenience' of providing your French bill in pounds, then charge you again for the 'foreign currency conversion' they would charge you anyway. Don't let the clerk try to say they don't know how to rerun the bill. The bill is supposed to reflect the option for either currency, if the merchant is participating in the DCC 'program'.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,944 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

Anyone not given the option of paying in the local currency should write "payment in euros not offered" on the establishments copy of the receipt and contest the charge with your bank when you are subsequently billed.

Dynamic currency conversion is a scam where you pay:

1. a much higher currency exchange cost than you otherwise would.

2. the Visa/MC 1% currency conversion fee just as though the original charge were in euros.

4. Re: Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 October 2015, 01:52
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

DCC is something that Ryanair do - so obviously it is a scam. Theirs is even better though - they charge you in Euros, do the conversion to pounds themselves - and then pass on the spurious total to the CC Company

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,944 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

<<there is no additional conversion fee from his own bank/CC company>>

After losing money to DCC, both Visa and MC altered the terms of their user agreements earlier this year. Currency conversion fees (1%) are now charged according to where the merchant's bank is located regardless of the currency used in the transaction. If the merchant's bank is not in the same country as the purchaser's bank, Visa/MC imposes a currency conversion fee.

Of course user agreements may possibly vary among countries so the OP should check his credit card user agreement.

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

Thanks for the advice. I'd never heard of dynamic currency conversion. I'll pay in Euros!

8. Re: Should I pay my Frenchhotel bill in Euros or British Pounds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 13:18