We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Scam - young people with clipboards

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
New Scam - young people with clipboards

I was in Paris just last week (May, 2002) and I saw a new scam. Many areas where flooded with young people with clipboards. They pretend to be deaf/mute. They ask for you to sign a petition. Then they flip over their paper or clipboard to show you that you owe them money - 2, 3, 10 euros. We were riding the funicular near Sacre-Coeur later with 5 of these girls and they were merrily chatting away with no difficulty. Later we saw the same girls pretending to be deaf/mutes!

Just ignore them, say "No" and walk past. As always, watch for pickpockets.

I encountered these people everywhere - near the Louvre, on the bridges over the Seine and in Montmatre.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

This is nothing new at all.

There is no point in signing any petition in a foreign country, so no point paying any attention to them.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

Very old scam, everywhere in the world.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

The clipboard kids have been working that schtick for at least ten years.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,804 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

20 years ago it was another community doing this.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 05:43
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

Thanks for the warning Chuck. Been to France a dozen times and have never come acfoss this scam before. My daughter and friends will be visiting Paris soon and your warning is timely.

Interestingly, i keep getting a popup from Tripadvisor asking me to participate in a survey!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

I thought it was a fairly new thing, or perhaps just that it gained popularity in the last few years.

It seems all the "do you speak English" girls lost their ability to hear and speak over the last 3 years or so.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

I saw the scam a few years ago,, so its not new.. perhaps the girls get chased away by police enforcement for awhile , then when heat is off they reappear,, that could explain why some claim to have been many times and never seen it..

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

Has been going on in Provence for at least a decade.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

I've seen this scam before in other cities, but a reminder is always welcome (especially as we're about to head out). Thanks, Chuck B.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Scam - young people with clipboards

I saved three elderly Americans on Saturday who had obviously not heard about it. The "deaf" girl understood every word I said to her targets!