We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

Level Contributor
33 posts
Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

Hello TAers,

Several months back, I booked a perfect apartment for later in the year and paid a 50% deposit. The owner has been in contact several times and there are plenty of great reviews, plus I've been in contact with another TAer who has stayed in the same apartment and recommended friends stay there - all who've had no problems whatsoever. That is not the issue - the issue is, that since booking, I've discovered about the illegality of short-term rentals in Paris and I want to do the right thing - the problem is also compounded by the fact that our stay is more than ten nights, with 2 adults, 2 children making hotel prices simply impossible and Apart'hotels only feasible if we stay waaaay out of the city centre - and with a 9-year old prone to the "are we there yet?" vibe this will be an issue. What should I do? I really don't have the budget to do luxury, but I also need two rooms, we can't all cram into one room for 10+ nights - it's an anniversary trip so privacy is an important factor too.... arggghhh - Help!!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
686 Reviews
from US$73.70*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
747 Reviews
from US$47.90*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,283 Reviews
from US$111.10*
1. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 20:50
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

What do you consider "waaaay out of the city centre"? I recently stayed at the aparthotel Citadines Maine Montparnasse. They have a few one bedrooms and the transportation via bus or metro from the avenue du Maine is excellent. I have previously stayed in the aparthotel Adagio Montmartre, again I certainly did not think this location as being too far out.

United States
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
273 reviews
3. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

i guess I would first want to know what the situation is with your deposit? Your length of stay and number of people etc. indicate an apartment probably is financially and space wise your best option. Sometimes getting a deposit back is very difficult and owners are often not so responsive to a cancellation. To be honest I would just keep it and hope for the best...that is not really very smart advice maybe... it is based on not knowing about that deposit situation. 50% is probably a substantial amount of money. Good luck.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,027 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

I'd just stick with apartment. Most vacation rentals in Paris have been technically illegal for a long time. This is because the laws are nearly impossible to comply with. It's only recently that the mayor's office has started a crackdown.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,884 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

I would not over think this. YOu have booked an apartment -- so go stay there. The bureaucratic issues are not your problem. If the apartment is pulled at the last minute then cope then. You will worst case scenerio be able to book a budget hotel at the edge of the city.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

I agree - don't drive yourself crazy over this. Your chances of having the place canceled are slim. The whole illegal apartment saga is still unfolding - rather slowly - there's nothing terribly urgent about it right now. Just go, and if the worst-case scenario happens, have a backup plan. Heck, you could book a hotel room in a place that burns to the ground right before you get there too. Stuff happens. Cope.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

I too booked an apartment, then starting reading all the threads on illegal rentals and started feeling very uncomfortable about the whole thing. I could cancel with only a $100 booking fee to lose, but after some thought I decided not to. Like you, I like the location and the amenities of the apartment and I spent a whole lot of time online finding it. But I do plan to book a hotel for back up, that I can cancel without penalty, just for peace of mind. That will be harder to do with your large group, but you might want to do it for the same reasons, just so you know you will have a roof over your heads if the worst occurs, which is unlikely.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
8. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

I, too, am in the same situation. We have booked a great apartment in the Marais for 10 days in March/April. The agency has been super responsive (and has received wonderful reviews by others on TA).

While I am looking for possible back-ups (hotel, aparthotel, etc.), I've decided not to over think this. There are many more terrible things that *could* happen with such a trip, it isn't worth the distraction. Que sera, sera.

9. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 20:49
UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: Short-Term Apartment Rental Quandary - Too Late?

Hopefully you have paid using a credit card which improves your financial security if nothing else.