We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

Two active 65 yr olds arriving Orly next Wed morning about 9 am on overnight flight from JFK and staying in an apt by Arc de Triomphe. Owner suggest that we can take Orlybus (30 min trip) from Terminal Sud to Denfert-Rochereau metro stop every 8 to 15 minutes. Then we use Metro Line 6 for 14 stops to the Charles de Gaulle Étoile stop and walk about 800 meters or 10 min to the apartment. Owner states flat walk to apt and escalators in Metro.

Given we are purchasing the Navigo upon arrival at Orly - this would be free versus the 35E taxi ride for 2 people. We were in Paris about 10 yrs ago and did use the Metro - but my teenager navigated for us as their assigned duties.

Googlemaps shows the Charles de Gaulle Étoile stop in the middle of the huge traffic circle by the Arc - so figuring out where to safely cross the street with luggage will be a challenge - but more so which direction to go???

So you think two old geeziers should give public transit a try or just pay 35E for the taxi?

Mentioned in this post
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
38,454 Reviews
Paris, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Orly
Orly
Val-de-Marne, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Skip the Line: Arc de Triomphe...
235 Reviews
from US$14.30*
Paris Illuminations Night Tour
342 Reviews
from US$27.30*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Paris Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off...
1,769 Reviews
from US$148.60*
US$157.15
Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

After an overnight flight I would just get a taxi from the official rank. Have apartment address written on piece of paper for the driver. Do not accept offers of taxi rides on way to the rank.

The Google maps just shows the general location of Charles de Gaulle Etoile. You don't actually exit in the middle of the roundabout of the Arc de Triomphe- there are several exits from the metro dotted round the roundabout you don't need to try and cross it.

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
38,454 Reviews
Paris, France
2. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 September 2016, 01:05
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

I've been dreaming of doing this to dear fifi

DUPLICATE REPORTED!!!!!

;-)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,276 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

free is better than paying 35 euros

it is easy to find Orlybus - signage is clear, metro is easy without connections and no need to cross round-point as stated, just exit your street or one near it. In any case, you will be using your ND passes so need to look at map to see how to get to/from public transport including metro.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

Thanks seanbee. It said my post failed and then I was unable to delete it myself from my phone.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

You're welcome dear fifi!

If 35 euro is important to you ( I know the feeling!) take the bus.

But honestly? A taxi would be my advice this time

Orlybus can be a zoo at times....and that's begore you have taken the metro!

That said..you only live once!!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

<<The Google maps just shows the general location of Charles de Gaulle Etoile. You don't actually exit in the middle of the roundabout of the Arc de Triomphe- there are several exits from the metro dotted round the roundabout you don't need to try and cross it.>>

Thanks everyone for your comments - but for free with the Navigo, we may give it a try - I would feel empowered! But may chicken out at the end and take that taxi depending on how I feel - which would be a lot easier and stress free - LOL!

So please help me out. Is there an exit to Avenue de Friedland from Metro Line 6 at the Charles de Gaulle Étoile station? From the street view of Googlemaps, it looks like there is an metro exit right there on the corner of Avenue de Friedland and the Arc roundabout.

Our apartment is located on Rue Berrye - right next to the Hotel Rothschild. So it appears to be a straight walk from the Arc roundabout down Avenue de Friedland to Rue Berrye.

Easy peasy, I can do this!

Many thanks for everyone's help.

Joyce

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
38,454 Reviews
Paris, France
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

Go for it!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,276 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

there is an av. de Friedland exit ..and signs marked "Sortie" (exit) with exit names and arrow pointing direction

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I or not - Orlybus and Metro to Apt???

Okay, all, last question. Are there escalators in the Metro stations or do we have to carry our luggage up the stairs?

Yahoo, packed today and my suitcase is 25 lb - about half of the 50 lbs that I usually take. So who is going to know that I wear the same clothes over and over again?