We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

District of Columbia
Level Contributor
278 posts
414 reviews
Save Topic
Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

I had visited Palace of Versailles a couple of years ago, but couldn't get in. Really long line...

I plan to visit one more time, but at this time, I want to get in for sure.

Is there 'Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles'?

My flight will be landing at ORY Airport around noon this Summer, so I have afternoon time to look around. I hope not to waste time on waiting in line for long.

Thank you for your tip!

Mentioned in this post
Palace of Versailles
Palace of Versailles
22,276 Reviews
Versailles, France
Orly Field
Orly Field
Orly, France
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

Even though I visited with a museum pass, there was a long line to get in. No way to skip a line, people with and without tickets if I recall correctly were part of the same line. It seemed though that those who arrived as part of large tours were given preferential entry.

District of Columbia
Level Contributor
278 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

It seems like it...

Is the line still long around noon?

I was there in the morning (~ 8 AM) in August. The line was long.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

Some people have reported the lines being shorter in late afternoon but in peak summer months, I wouldn't count on it.

Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

Some travel experts advice to go in the afternoon. I'd rather be there as early as possible so that i have time to thoroughly enjoy the grounds following a brief visit to the château. It's difficult to appreciate the château while fighting the crowds who appear to want to take pictures of every doorknob.

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

Same day as arrival... visit the gardens first and then the château around 4:pm. There is no line at the gardens via the queen's gate entrance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,373 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

If you can't get there a half hour before it opens, the best bet is to get a King's Apartment tour as it uses a different door and so there isn't a line. After the tour you can head into the rest of the chateau.

7. Re: Skip-the-line admission to the Palace of Versailles? 2nd try

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2018, 13:18