We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mont Saint Michel

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mont Saint Michel

Can anyone recommend a tour to go from Bayeux to Mont Saint Michel? Looking for either partial day or full day if need be. The Churchill Hotel(where we are staying) has no availablitly in their van. Any help appreciated! We are going to be there mid May.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Mont-Saint-Michel
Mont-Saint-Michel
Manche, France
Essex
Level Contributor
30,723 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mont Saint Michel

Have a look at taking the train from Bayeux to Pontorson, and then the shuttle bus from Pontorson Station.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mont Saint Michel

You could also rent a car for the day-it is an easy drive from Bayeux (I am not much into driving in general, and I found Normandy to be a delightful and stress-free driving experience, especially toward Brittany), and if you get an early start, you should have no problems finding parking at MSM. We took the tour at the Mont when we arrived, which we found to be very good-the docents there are very knowledgeable and gave us a very detailed tour for a nominal price.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Essex
Level Contributor
30,723 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mont Saint Michel

Should you decide to hire a car to get there you will now have to park at the new car park on the mainland, and either walk across the causeway, or take one of the new shuttle buses across to MSM.

http://www.accueilmontsaintmichel.com/

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
412 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mont Saint Michel

We visited MSM last Monday,it was an easy one and a half hours drive from Bayeux. The new car parks had opened three days previously and it was very busy.

If you are not very mobile beware that even with the shuttle you have a long way to walk.It was at least 800 metres from our car to the new visitor centre and they told us it was another 700 metres to the shuttle bus. When you get off the bus it is another 400 metres to the entrance and then a very steep climb with lots of steps, made a lot difficult because of the crowds.

Lots of eating places but the lunch we had was not too good and overpriced,a bit of a tourist trap really.

Anyway MSM is well worth a visit but the last time I visited you could park much nearer.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Port-en-Bessin-Huppa...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mont Saint Michel

I always advise our guests NEVER to eat anything more than a basic crepe at MSM. All the restaurants are over-priced and VERY average. They don't always take head, especially if they're French and think that they know better. However, even the flashiest Parisian came back and complained at how he had been ripped off at Mere Poulard for his omelette. Fortunately his girlfriend just laughed and said how he should have listened to us but was too busy trying to impress her!!!

Edited: 07 May 2012, 00:45
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
412 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mont Saint Michel

Yes we usually avoid the touist traps and just have a sandwich or we should have had a 'simple crepe' but I was very tired with the amount of walking we had done and also the thought of the journey back to the car.

We did though have some good French food during our short break in France and are looking forward to lots more good meals when we have a longer break in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mont Saint Michel

Thank you.

I think we solved the problem. We'll be there in less than a week. Looking forward to it.

I'm glad you all wrote about the food there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mont Saint Michel

do you have a suggestion for a place to stop to eat after we visit Mont St Michel? We will be headed toward Amboise.

Mentioned in this post
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mont Saint Michel

is there public transportation from Bayeux to Mont St Michel? I will be staying in MSM several days and then returning to Bayeux.

thanks-

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mont Saint Michel

bfd -- it's 300km and 4 hours' drive from MSM to Amboise, with hundreds of towns and villages to find a place to eat.

andapaige -- read post #1