We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose de Mai - request for dates

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rose de Mai - request for dates

Hi, Id really like to visit grass at the time the rose blooms are being harvested.

If I visited between the 16th and the 20th would that work?

Any help gratefully received, cheers!

Grasse, France
Level Contributor
708 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose de Mai - request for dates

Hi Nitamach2014

Here is the information you need.

www.patrimoinevivantdelafrance.fr/index.php…

Its French but you should get the idea. Mid - may to mid June is the picking time.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose de Mai - request for dates

Don't expect fields of flowers, btw. The days when Grasse was of any relevance to the perfume industry are long gone. But the perfume museum has gardens to visit:

museesdegrasse.com/en/presentation-gardens

Grasse, France
Level Contributor
708 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose de Mai - request for dates

Not sure chanel would agree with that tplus. This is an interesting article re rose de mai.

…telegraph.co.uk/beauty/news-features/TMG109…

Grasse is no longer the big flower growing centre for the perfume industry it once was but it plays a massive role in perfume and aroma production on a world scale. Local industry is both innovative and skilled with as much as 10% spent on R&D and lists of patents to go with it which will almost certainly maintain that position for many years. Local perfume and aroma producers have clients which include L'Oreal, Chanel, all the major players.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose de Mai - request for dates

I remember reading an interview with Karl Lagerfeld about perfumes, who explained that "nobody is going to Grasse anymore since 30 years, now. The famous brands are doing some PR "harvest" there each year and then buying their stuff in Asia".

Or where can I find blossoming fields in the area? Has all turned into building land. Nobody can afford French labour and land lease to grow some blossoms.

Its almost all artificial anyway, check out the offerings of Mane & Fils in Bar-sur-Loup.

But the mentioned "Domaine de Manon" can be visited, so that might be the solution for the OP. In fact its the only domain mentioned of the Grasse-pages (apart from the museum gardens).

Edited: 16 December 2014, 20:47
Grasse, France
Level Contributor
708 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rose de Mai - request for dates

It's true that Grasse no longer attracts the sun-glassed and gloved brigade anymore and few would pretend there is any reason why it should. However, one way or another the perfume and aroma industry is thriving, it has its world famous name brands as clients (who do visit constantly) and a great and interesting history concerning its place in the perfume and aroma business.

Where the flowers come from, what clever patented processes they use, is by the by, the products of Grasse are all around you and in your fridge even in your car, what matters is the expertise for which French private employers (an exception in times of multi - nationals) do pay French labour, its just a fact. When you shower tonight there is every chance you will use a Grasse origin product, when you eat your yogurt, same, I could go on...

It also grows rose de mai which people are interested in and want to visit. No one is pretending there are glorious beautiful never ending fields of roses or banging a PR drum, its just a fact.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rose de Mai - request for dates

..or you'll get a product from my German neighbourhood, something out of the small town called "Holzminden". Scents & flavours giant "Symrise" has its headquarter there. But more likely your yogurt will taste "Swiss" :)

In fact this industry is a global business, but the mentioned Mane from Grasse holds a global share of not more than 4% - which is still not bad for "Bar-sur-Loup"!

Source:

http://www.leffingwell.com/top_10.htm

Grasse, France
Level Contributor
708 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rose de Mai - request for dates

Ha, you have to laugh, I just knew you would come out with that German business.

But you fill your organ doner machine with petrol in France right, for when your burning up and down those alpine roads, well the petrol is scented as are a zillion other products in your house not from Germany but Grasse... Fraid I don't eat yogurt, and your right if I did it may well be Swiss and you would be surprised how many Swiss yogurt producers visit Grasse aroma producers regularly.

And don't forget Robertet which is the biggest aroma producer in Grasse. Just one of many producers. It's a Grasse thing, many Grassoise work in the industry and its no surprise that their children study perfume sciences in Paris with a view to coming back, others take temporary jobs in aroma production places in Grasse whilst studying, that is the expertise, it goes on generation after generation, I find it an interesting aspect of the region,...

Anyway in the meantime I've just been into Grasse and whilst I was at it I got the low down on the Rose de mai visits. They only happen on Tuesday mornings when the gates of the Domaine de Manon are opened at 10.00 and even then it is dependent on the "flouraison" i.e. when the flowers are ready, which can vary, cos its nature. You can call them direct on 06 12 18 02 69 but you do not need to book, just turn up on the right day when the flowers are ready. Apologies for digressing so much Nitamach2014

There is another flower producer near Grasse in Peymeinade which opened for visits about a year and a half ago called Au Pays d'Audrey, www.aupaysdaudry.fr but they don't have rose de mai.

Or there is the museum garden which I vaguely had a look at last year but couldn't get enthusiastic enough to go round properly, partly because it was the wrong time of year, I didn't much like the look of it, but mostly because my wife dragged me into the garden centre next door.

Edited: 17 December 2014, 00:00
8. Re: Rose de Mai - request for dates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2016, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Grasse