We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations? Oui or Non

Boston
Level Contributor
786 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations? Oui or Non

Bonjour!

I have made reservations for our first two evenings in Nice (arriving on the 24th for six nights) :

LE 11EME ART & FRANCHIN (please chime in on these choices--we are staying on Rue Gounod)

We plan on taking the train to some of the surrounding towns during our stay (Villefranche, Cannes, Antibes and or/Monaco) as time allows.

My question is whether or not I should just go ahead and make some reservations for these destinations just to have (cancelling of course if unable to keep!)

I like a back up plan but don't want to be ridiculous with my over planning if unnecessary this time of year in the South.

13 replies to this topic
Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,533 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

I always reserve, but in September I often call from the beach for a table 2h later - normally no problem at all.

Both can be booked by La Fourchette and I could still book 11eme Art now for tonight. Franchin might need a day. However, my favoured restaurants still need a booking several days or a week in advance.

Check out La Fourchette.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

Restaurants? I think you are ok with the first two evenings for now. A day ahead, unless it is an uber popular restaurant or there is a national holiday or a convention, is plenty enough.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

Agree with Anna. Two reservations are enough for now. That gives you flexibility once you get there to see what looks good, what time you'll be eating etc.

Nice, California
Level Contributor
158 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

La Fourchette works well, and you'll also get some offers on meals as we head into the off season. Some popular/small places (like Comptoir du Marche) you'll still have to call in advance.

I've eaten at 11e Art, and it's was fine. Coco e Rico on the next street over may be even better. The pizza at Vabbuo right across the street is very good, in an Italian style. You probably are not far from Le Sejour Cafe as well..

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

I really like 11ème Art - it's always been consistently good. I love Coco & Rico, but they've been closed for 2.5 months now. Today I finally saw a sign saying they are on their annual holiday, so we will have to watch this space. A friend and I had pizzas the other week at Vabbuo and both were mediocre. For pizza, go across town to La Piccola Capri, or have the pizza at Il Vicoletto in the pedestrian zone.

Check out L'École de Nice, Mon Petit Café, and yes, Le Séjour Café.

Nice, California
Level Contributor
158 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

I didn't see that Coco e Rico were shut for the holidays -- we too exit Nice in the holidays and it's been a while since our last visit. It seems like they are taking reservations again for the end of the month, however. It's interesting that you did not have a good pizza at Vabbuo -- I preferred mine much to the one at Il Vicoletto (in a more of Neapolitan style). But perhaps it has fallen off the mark -- I'll have to check it out again.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 02:28
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

Coco & Rico has been shut since the end of June. I'm not sure what is going on, but I hope it reopens.

@KK66: Four of us had an excellent lunch today at Bistro L'École de Nice. They have an ever-changing short menu, but it's always delicious, and near enough to where you will be staying. Another place I'd recommend is Ma Yucca for Japanese-French fusion.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 03:48
Boston
Level Contributor
786 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

Saving!

Merci!

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,533 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

Back Ma Yucca. L'Ecole de Nice is still on my to-do list.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reservations? Oui or Non

Just a note to say that Coco & Rico re-opened this week after a 2.5-month absence. :-)

Reply to: Reservations? Oui or Non
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted