We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How expensive is Nice?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
How expensive is Nice?

Hi. Looking at visiting Nice next summer but the reviews on people saying Nice is very expensive is putting me off.

Can anyone tell me roughly the cost of drinks and food? A pint of lager or a short with mixer for example. Have done a few city breaks and appreciate the prices are higher but how much higher here? A basic breakfast and evening meal not posh but nice. Thanks

33 replies to this topic
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How expensive is Nice?

Its like everywhere - caters for all budgets .

Lager is expensive at around 5/6 euro a pint, we shared carafes of house wine for 6/7 euro

Eating out is like being at home - you can choose the popular places and just have a main at around 12-15 euro or you can go for set meal options starting from around 20 euro.

Just take a little care where you stop off and you will be absolutely fine.

If you go onto Ma Nolans webpage it will give you a drinks list with prices as a guide.

Public transport is cheap and easy to use so you will save ££ there.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
775 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How expensive is Nice?

I did not find it an expensive city.

There is food and drink at different price points, and a welcome bonus is that in the parks there are free water fountains. When it is hot and you are sightseeing, the cost of bottle water can quickly add up !

Finland
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How expensive is Nice?

In case GBP holds its current rate against EUR, you're quite safe, if you're ok with UK prices.

If you're on a tight budget, I suggest you avoid the most touristic areas for eating out. Beer is never cheap in France, but wine is. There are chain supermarkets here & there for more reasonable prices of water bottles and other necessities.

You can find examples of prices by browsing websites (restaurants, supermarket chains, hotels etc.) As said, e.g. public transportation is cheap in Nice and in the area generally.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How expensive is Nice?

You have to have realistic expectations.

It sounds like you want to go to France and eat and drink what you eat and drink at home in the UK.

In France, wine by the carafe is the inexpensive alcoholic beverage....if you want to drink beer as you do at home, it will be more expensive.

Breakfast in France is coffee and a pastry.....if you want a "full English" like you get in the UK, it will be very expensive.

You're in a different country......if you want to take your UK "habits" with you....it will cost you.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How expensive is Nice?

Thanks for all that advice.

Seems like it is much the same as other cities with a mixture of eateries to suit your pocket.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How expensive is Nice?

It's cheaper than London, Paris or NYC but more expensive than Berlin, Athens, Barcelona, Lisbon...

For what it's worth...

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How expensive is Nice?

Nice is definitely cheaper than London.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How expensive is Nice?

Of all locations on the Riviera from St Tropez to Monaco, you will find far more choice in Nice ... that includes budget accommodation ( plenty of 2 * hotels)and food and drink. You can find everything from pizza to street food like pan bagnats and paninis ....not to mention McDonald's. The set menu for lunch is always best value in restaurants. There is plenty of free beach. And public transport is cheap.

Ed

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How expensive is Nice?

I had gotten immune to the prices because I live in NYC and have been coming to the riviera for a while.

But-We just returned from a 10 day trip to Greece. Yikes what a shock at how much less expensive!!. (I had a similar shock in Portugal a few years ago; and I've been to Greece dozens of times).

Lounge chairs and parasols at the beach in the riviera are about 20-27 a person. 5 euro for two chairs and parasol in island beaches in Greece! And I'm talking about really nice sand beaches. Some were 8 and a couple 10 (for 2 people)

Really nice dinner with appetizers and a bottle of wine, 30 euro in Crete. 40 in Athens. 70 for a similar meal in the riviera.

One of the best boutique hotels in Crete about 350 a night, and in Athens a 5 star luxury small hotel for 500. In Nice you'd get a really nice room but not the best for those prices.

I always experience a similar surprise when I go over the border to the Italian riviera to visit from the French Riviera. A multiple course lunch in a casual place can be about 10 euro. 15 at a similar cafe in the riviera. Lounge chair rates about 12-15 euro or free with a meal in bordegera and sanremo.

So I guess that yes, Nice is more expensive than other Mediterranean vacation spots. But you can choose to spend less and have a great time. And it is worth it.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How expensive is Nice?

Greece is a country that is on its knees financially , with Italy in truth also suffering. Youth unemployment is a major factor in driving down costs in the hospitality sector.

However in relative terms it is true Nice has seen big increases in the type of expenses tourists incur. I would say this has a lot to do with the change in tourism from " two weeks in the sun" to the focus on quick weekend breaks on budget airlines. Nice airport now serves around 180 destinations.

Ed

Reply to: How expensive is Nice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted