We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Nice by train

2 posts
Save Topic
Paris to Nice by train

Hi,is anyone aware of issues with train travel between Paris and Nice around Christmas time? 1 website suggests replacement bus service all the way!!!

16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Nice by train

See en.voyages-sncf.com/en for definitive information on trains that will be running, or replacement buses.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Nice by train

I just tried a dummy booking on SNCF's journey planner, and it says that Christmastime bookings for this journey are not yet available.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Nice by train

Paris to Nice by train sounds fun and romantic-- and for the first hour or two it might be. I love train travel for getting to London from Paris or Venice from Florence. But six hours traveling 975-km from Paris to Nice is a wasted day. Get on a 10:00 train and arrive at the train station in Nice at 16:00 and your hotel at 16:20.

Hop on a 10 flight, land at 11:20, and you're at your hotel in time for lunch. Look at the very low cost EasyJet or Air France flights leaving almost hourly...

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Nice by train

While I am all for flying, I am not sure time savings will be that much, since the OP would need time to travel to the airport, psss security pre-flight and then travel from Nice airport to hotel. I would still go for the fast train.

Boston
Level Contributor
690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Nice by train

Caseymorgan, not really fair the way you have compared the two times.

Let's say from a hotel in downtown Paris to a hotel in downtown Nice.

Train figure 7 total hours (30 min before, 6 hour ride and 30 min after)

No taxis or similar required and no luggage charges in terms of costs.

Plane though only an hour and 20 min flight time, for a 10 AM flight figure you would have to leave your hotel at 7:30 to head to the airport

Arrive 12;20 but then are not close to downtown so by the time you deboard and catch transit into town and arrive at your hotel I am thinking if you lucky it is 1:30 ; so 7:30 - 130 is 6 hours

You saved a whole hour in total and have added expenses of taxi or similar transport to airport from and to your next hotel as well as potential luggage fees depending on airline and bags you have.

Not saying the train is so much better, just that the time is not that much different. Both take up a good part of a day.

Edited: 28 September 2017, 00:15
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Nice by train

Flying will take 4 hours, a tedious relay-race of grotty RER train followed by airport security hassle, a flight, another airport then a bus. Just to save an hour and a half! And miss out on the experience, what an utter waste!

The TGV train takes only 5h37 city centre to city centre, chilling out with a glass of wine or two on a double-decker 186 mph high-speed TGV speeding down the pleasant Rhone Valley then past Marseille with the Notre Dame de la Garde visible on its hill to your right and the infamous Chateau d'If (France's 17th century Alcatraz) visible out in the bay. Then the train rolls along the Cote d'Azur past rocky headlands, yacht-filled harbours, millionaires' villas, a really lovely journey and one of the nicest routes in France. The train is 'me' time!

You can buy tickets from €25 upwards at either www.loco2.com or www.trainline.eu - you print your own ticket.

These TGV Duplex trains are double-deck with a cafe-bar, all seats have power sockets, free WiFi is being fitted though hasn't reached most Paris-Nice trains just yet

Edited: 28 September 2017, 01:57
Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Nice by train

We just did this train trip and found it quite relaxing and enjoyable.

On return, I flew from Nice to Paris. Flying cost a LOT more and saved maybe an hour's time. The whole airport hassle is a nightmare anymore.

Being from the US where I have never traveled on a train, I have found that I love train travel because it is so easy and stress free. It is more comfortable and the bathrooms are cleaner and bigger. The views along the coast were beautiful.

I would take the train again and gladly exchange an hour of time for the ease of train travel as opposed to the stress of the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Nice by train

I kind of agree for shorter journeys but all the way to Nice is just a bit long to be cooped up in a metal tube for my taste.

That last, slow, windy 2hr section along the Cote d'Azur from Marseille to Nice really drags on the end of an already long trip. True, there are some lovely ocean views along the way, but if you're staying in Nice you're probably going to see many of them over the next few days anyway.

Edited: 28 September 2017, 08:41
Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Nice by train

I concur, the last 2 hours, I got a little antsy. The first 3 flew by, however, literally and figuratively, lol!

Still, the whole airport scene seems to drain my energy from my body anymore. All the queuing, waiting on unorganized travelers, waiting on luggage to come off the plane.

I think I'd rather be sitting on the train.

On a side note, I hoped this third visit of mine to France would squelch (or subdue) my French travel bug for a duration BUT

Can you believe that before I even got home from my trip, like on our drive home from the airport, I started feeling the need to return agaiin?!

I need help (and more money, lol).

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Nice by train

" all the way to Nice is just a bit long to be cooped up in a metal tube for my taste"

That sounds more like a description of the plane - cramped seating with knees stuck in the back of the seat in front. The seats on the train are far more comfortable (even in 2nd class) and it is easy to get up and walk around.

Reply to: Paris to Nice by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted