We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Nice by train

2 posts
Save Topic
Paris to Nice by train

Hi,is anyone aware of issues with train travel between Paris and Nice around Christmas time? 1 website suggests replacement bus service all the way!!!

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$103.90*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.00*
US$108.90
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.00*
US$108.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from US$132.70*
16 replies to this topic
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Paris to Nice by train

The Marseille-Nice bit is my favourite part of the journey! The trip along the coast is gorgeous.

5.5 hours on a train is far less hassle these days than flying, as you will likely spend the same amount of time door-to-door for a 1.5-hour flight. And, for me, the train is a far more enjoyable experience.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Paris to Nice by train

It's just not about how many hours door to door. Much of it is about how long you are stuck in a metal tube. I agree that you would have to arrive at the airport somewhat earlier than the train station. Other than an hour's sleep or a long breakfast, what sightseeing are you missing out on between 8:00-9:00? The bottom line is do you want to wake up at 7:30 and be at your hotel at 12:15 or wake up at 8:30 and be there at 16:20? It is not a "waste of a whole day either way."

And flying into Nice Cote d'Azur is a great experience. Get a window seat on the plane and you'll have wonderful views of the coast as you land right next to the Mediterranean. From Paris there are no customs. You just walk off the plane with your bag and get a 15 minute Uber into Nice...

Edited: 28 September 2017, 21:49
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Paris to Nice by train

Yes, the flight into Nice Côte d'Azur is beautiful. My heart always skips a beat when we approach Nice.

There will always be those who prefer to fly, and those who prefer to travel by train (and for early birds, there's a 7:19 TGV that arrives in Nice by 1pm, btw). I do both, but having just returned from Venice, which involved a lot of schlepping to get to the airport, through security, and then hanging around waiting for the gate for a delayed flight to be announced, I realised that I would far rather take the train next time, even if the door-to-door time is 1.5 hours longer than a flight to/from Venice. For me, it's the schlepping and waiting around (waiting to check in, waiting for security, waiting for the gate, sometimes having to wait for a van to drive passengers to the plane, waiting for luggage) involved that often makes flying such a wearisome experience. If I'm in a situation where the door-to-door time is fairly equal, but where the train is more direct (city centre to city centre) and hassle free than flying, I now take the train. It's often cheaper, too, and certainly more environmentally friendly.

Mais à chacun son goût. :-)

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Paris to Nice by train

From Nice to Venice by train takes 7h30 - 9h30 with 2 connections minimum and I guess you don't stay in any of these places right next to the train station. That's a day lost. And there is no schlepping and waiting involved?

The flight takes 1:05, the vaporetto takes you on a scenic route right to the airport, the bus in Nice takes 25 minutes to the center. Make that 3h30 in total. Sorry, but one would only take the train when you have to avoid security and passport checks by all means.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Paris to Nice by train

Nope, we timed it. We stayed in the centre of Venice. It took over 5.5 hours from the airport boat stop to Nice airport. That included a 30-minute flight delay, but still.

There are trains that take 7.5 hours with one easy change in Milan. Not a two-connection minimum. No schlepping: a quick vaporetto to the train station and you're done. As opposed to either the airport boat + long walk to the airport terminal, or a vaporetto + bus (after having navigated luggage over the bridge to the bus stop - believe me, I've done it several times) to the airport. I never said it was a quick option, but for me it's far more stress free, and there is plenty of beautiful scenery along the way.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Paris to Nice by train

The two best train connections every day from Venice to Nice take 7h 40 and 8h 02 and have one very short level connection in Milano Centrale station, in both cases with 25 minutes connection time.

And with an effectively unlimited luggage allowance, no security or boarding palaver, and no added fees for seat reservations.

Reply to: Paris to Nice by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted