We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go to Nice? (from Paris)

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Should I go to Nice? (from Paris)

Hi,

My first time here.

I can't seem to make up my mind.

I need some feedback on whether I should stay in Paris (for 6 days, 5 nights) enjoying the last leg of my journey

or

should I squeeze in Nice for 2 nights maybe via the Corail Lunea (or the TGV train)?

My flight back is from Paris.

Thanks! :)

Syaz

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Should I go to Nice? (from Paris)

Stay in Paris -- you'll lose the better part of 2 days just getting to Nice and back for your return flight.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Should I go to Nice? (from Paris)

I much prefer Nice to Paris but the train is not a good idea for such a short visit. Always hard to know what someone else will enjoy but Easyjet would take you to Nice and back for 74 euro if you book well in advance.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Should I go to Nice? (from Paris)

I love Paris but found the Cote d'Azur has that same blend of culture, cafes, museums, and glamor. But the riviera adds in mountains, hills, beaches and amazing water views.

Air France also has inexpensive flights every hour. If it's not too late, fly open jaw into Paris and out of Nice.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Should I go to Nice? (from Paris)

I think you would be visiting two very different parts of France and that's a good thing. I would fly between the two cities as you will lose the better part of two days of your trip is you took the train. As others have said, flying can be very inexpensive if you time things right.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Should I go to Nice? (from Paris)

Welcome to the forums, Syaz!

If I understand your post correctly your six days in Paris include your arrival and departure day. That means in effect that you have four full days in Paris. Even if you fly to Nice it will take you something like 7 hours each way when you account for packing and unpacking, checking out of one hotel and into another, airport transfers, check-in times, and all the rest. Effectively that means you would have one day each in the two cities. Delightful as Nice may be IMO the trip would be a huge waste of time when you take all the travel time into account.

There are many places within an hour or so of Paris to which you could take a day trip if you wanted to see something different. Perhaps you think you would not find enough to do in Paris. I can assure you that is not likely to be the case. Here is a list I put together for another poster of just the principal attractions that most first-time visitors consider "must sees.".

Eiffel Tower

Arc de Triomphe

Avenue des Champs-Élysées

Place de la Concorde

Tuileries gardens

Louvre

Opéra Garnier

Sainte Chapelle

Notre Dame cathedral

The islands

The Latin Quarter

Luxembourg gardens and palace

St-Germain-des-Prés

d'Orsay museum

Napoleon's tomb

The Marais, especially the Place des Vosges

Montmartre and the Sacré Coeur basilica

Open-air markets

Cafés and restaurants

Galeries Lafayette, Printemps and the other big department stores

The bridges of the Seine

River Seine cruise

Versailles

That list has only a very few of the approximately 150 museums, for example, and says almost nothing about the architecture. Paris has 1000 years worth of magnificent architectural heritage, from the Middle Ages to the 21st century. Get a good guidebook — preferably a well-illustrated one like the DK Eyewitness guide and have a read.

6. Re: Should I go to Nice? (from Paris)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 14:17