We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Geneva

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
day trip to Geneva

Hi,

I will be visiting Lyon on first week of June. I would like to have a day trip to Geneva. I was wondering if somebody can tell me how to avoid the toll charge in Switzerland. I will have a rental car while I am in Lyon.thanks for your help.

5 replies to this topic
Aix-les-Bains...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Geneva

Hello,

Several solutions are available to you.

You can take the motorway to Bellegarde or Saint Julien and finish by the departmental.

You can also take the bus between Lyon and Geneva (for 10 € return): http://fr.ouibus.com/en/.

Bon Voyage.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Geneva

toll charge is Swiss autoroute only. When near the border, follow the signs for St.Julien-en-Genevois and head in via the non-autoroute roads.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Geneva

Thanks for all your feedback,

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Geneva

Remember that signs for autoroutes in Switzerland are GREEN not blue as in France.

I always continue to junction 14 on the A40, taking the left hand lane there, signed "GENÈVE VALLARD", and then following the A411 into Genève. This (French) autoroute finishes actually at the border and it is a relatively simple route to the lakeside and centre from there with virtually no risk of straying on to an autoroute by accident.

Any other non-autoroute into Genève from the south or west can be really difficult to follow, the Swiss clearly want you to use their autoroutes!

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Geneva

Thanks alot

Reply to: day trip to Geneva
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lyon