We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary feedback if possible?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary feedback if possible?

Hello, after a bit of feedback/suggestions please. I have a layover in Lyon en route to Les Deux Alpes at the end of June. I arrive at the airport about midday on the Friday, and then leave about 24 hours later (not had the transfer time confirmed yet, but looking to be about 13:00).

The plan is to take the Rhonexpress in to the centre and drop my bag at a hotel (not booked yet, looking at something near the station), then take a walk up to Fourviere, getting a late lunch on the way, and taking in the river banks on the way back.

The next morning I'm thinking of strolling around the Presqu'ile before collecting my bag from the hotel and getting the Rhonexpress back to the airport.

I know it's only a very short visit, which is why I'm quite happy strolling around and soaking up the place, it worked out to be a couple of hundred pounds cheaper to fly the day earlier, so I figured I'd do a little sightseeing! Thanks

2 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary feedback if possible?

I am unclear on what you mean by staying at a hotel "near the station." Are you referring to the Part Dieu train station? It's a long walk from Part Dieu to the base of Fourviere Hill, where one picks up the funicular, and much of that walk is not all that interesting. You would be much better off staying near Belle Coeur on Presqu'Isle, which is a more picturesque area, and much closer to Fourviere Hill. On the Rhone Express, you can transfer to the Metro at the Vaulx-en-Velin - La Soie station, which will take directly to Belle Coeur. On the morning before you leave, you could walk north along Presqu'Isle up towards Croix Rousse -- and then retrace your path back to LYS taking the metro from Belle Couer to the Rhone Express, etc.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary feedback if possible?

Yes, sorry should have made that clearer. Planning on staying by Part Dieu, makes it more convenient the next day for collecting my luggage before heading back out to the airport, especially given that it includes a ski/snowboard bag... The walk really doesn't bother me, I'm reckoning on about 1.5 hrs to get to the top of Fourviere from Part Dieu. I'm one of those people who is quite happy wandering around soaking in my environment, and will stop for dinner on the way back. So long as the hotel has a comfy bed to sleep in and somewhere to store my luggage, I don't really care!

Reply to: Itinerary feedback if possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lyon