We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train Questions: Frankfurt to Berlin

Arlington VA USA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
train Questions: Frankfurt to Berlin

I am scheduled to land at Frankfurt am Main airport on Tues. April 17th at 07:10 (one checked bag). I would like to travel by train to Berlin as quickly as possible. There seems to be trains every 10 to 15 minutes. Any idea how long it will take me to get on board after I land? (I will need a few minutes to hit an ATM. ) Is it easy to do, and recommended, that I purchase the ticket online at the DB site before I leave or wait until I arrive? If I purchase on line can I use any train on that route? Would I need to check in and get a ticket or just validate something from the internet and get on? Fare currently is about 108 Euro. Is there anything better I should look for (I will just be going one -way)? And finally, is there a smaller town that I should take a stop over for a few hours enroute to Berlin.

Vielen Dank,

Rick

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
April
April
231 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train Questions: Frankfurt to Berlin

a cheaper option: Rail&Fly if your airline takes part in this program

bahn.de/p/…railfly_b_to_b_engl.shtml

> Is it easy to do, and recommended, that I purchase the ticket online at the DB site before I leave or wait until I arrive?

You can buy as well online. Saves you time at Frankfurt airport.

Don't forget to bring the printout and the credit card you used to pay for the ticket.

> If I purchase on line can I use any train on that route?

This depends not where you buy your ticket from, but what kind of ticket you buy.

Normal tickets are flexible. In this case valid 2 days and allow stopovers en route. Normal tickets from Frankfurt Airport to Berlin are EUR 105,00 (via Göttingen) and EUR 90,00 (via Leipzig).

There are also Sprin Special Tickets available (EUR 29/39/49/59) - but these tickets are only valid for the booked connection.

If you choose the route via Leipzig I would recommend Erfurt for a stopover.

http://www.erfurt-tourismus.de/en/

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Leipzig
Leipzig
Saxony, Germany
2. Re: train Questions: Frankfurt to Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 05:15