We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich>Venice overnight train type

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Munich>Venice overnight train type

Hi all,

Only 40 days out from leaving for our trip and my travel buddy and I have been booking things left, right and centre... great, right? Not so much.

At her insistance, we booked a few rail journeys via Rail Europe (I know they've got a pretty terrible reputation)

We've got an overnight train from Munich to Venice S.L - but I can't get a straight answer out of anyone at RE as to the type of travel we've got... the booking says "2 x Double Sleeper" but my google-fu fails to tell me if that means that we've both got sleeper bed in the same (2 person) sleeper compartment - or if it's going to be a first-come-first-serve basis as to who gets which sleeper etc.

I've always thought I was a savvy traveller until I had to ask this... so dumbing down would be greatly appriciated!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

If you buy a night train ticket, it will automatically include a reservation - the berth numbers should be printed on your ticket. At least in a normal case - I don't know how RailEurope handles this.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

Double post, please ignore.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 13:13
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

Not just a terrible reputation, terrible prices as well - you could have bought exactly the same ticket from German Railways at a fraction of the price, and you can print it out at home for free ...

Rail Europe generally don't have a clue. They sometimes describe 2-berth compartments as first class, when in fact they are not, and good luck getting information out of them as they probably will not know themselves the answer to your query.

As per above, the berth numbers will be on the ticket, From that it will be possible to tell where you will be.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

I know we could have gotten them cheaper, but sadly I was over-ruled by the person whose credit card we were using - she didn't "trust" using them on a website based outside Australia. No amount of argument could get her to agree otherwise.

Reading the ticket - which I'm very likely doing wrong (not much train travel in Europe under my belt) it's showing "Coach 289" (which I assume is like a carriage) and then "Bed 21. 25" and in a line below that say "01UPPER.01LOWER"

I'm beginning to wish I'd never let her over-rule me on this as looking at two of the tickets (this and one for a train from Prague to Munich it looks like they've just chosen seats at random ... call me insane but you'd imagine that if people are booking tickets in the same reservation, it means they'd like to sit next to each other.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

Prague to Munich is by bus - €29 you really don't want to get the train as it takes quite a lot longer, although it is cheaper at €19. There is no need to reserve on that train as it is likely to be pretty empty.

All these sites are perfectly safe and secure. If they were not they would have gone out of business long ago.

Rail Europe is based in France, anyway :)

Edited: 08 August 2012, 19:40
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

I'd suggest you're right, looking at that ticket it says "Train 1150 Bus" and all my Googling has shown that it's a bus, too. But still seems to leave from the same place.

I really wish she'd just let me book & pay for everything - things would have been much simpler without me now having to spend hours making sure that everything matches up with what she *thought* was being booked vs. reality.

Thanks for your help GCEK :-)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

It looks as though you will be in the same compartment. Here are some interior pictures: …railclub.ru/pix/…

The bus leaves from the main station in Prague and goes to the main station in Munich. It is to all intents and purposes a train but the service is provided by bus. You can tell from the number that it is the 07:16.

Before you buy any more overpriced tickets, ask here first and somebody will give you advice - do not touch Rail Europe with a bargepole if you value your wealth - their prices are typically 100% or more than the real prices, and are even more than the prices you would pay if bought on the day so it makes zero financial sense to use them at all.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

Thanks for the extra info!

Whenever I've needed rail tickets before, I've always bought them at the station either the day before or the day I was leaving without any issues, but she (as a first time traveller) was freaking out because we've got flights that we can't miss... well, we can, but you know, costly and all that to have to rebook hotels - so she insisted that we purchase now to make sure that we wouldn't have issues down the track.

So now, having dealt with Rail Europe and discussed with others, I get the feeling they're like the Flight Centre of Railways... overpriced, poor service and generally take the long-way-round.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

FYI you can always buy on the day, but it will be at full price (still cheaper than Rail Europe). Virtually all national railway companies now offer significantly discounted tickets if bought in advance, and you can also buy local passes in some countries, eg. Germany, Austria for use on local trains.

In the Czech Republic tickets are very cheap anyway, and buses are even cheaper and on the longer distance ones they have free wi-fi, refreshments, etc.

10. Re: Munich>Venice overnight train type

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 19:16