We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Topic
Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

We are very excited to be visiting the BF this October for 3 nights. The main purpose is to visit the birthplaces of our ancestors who were from Sulz am Neckar /Hopfau /Oberiflingen /Schopfloch circa 1590-1850.

We will rent a car and will drive up from Basel on a Sunday and have to be in Zurich on Wednesday.

Would appreciate advice on our Tentative plan - open to any additions, corrections or other suggestions to help round it out-

Sunday - leave Basel late morning and drive to Schiltach. (good 'old village' atmosphere?) Overnight in Schiltach

Monday - visit open-air museum near Gutach in morning and then drive to Sulz area and stay Overnight (thinking of Glatt, across from the castle)

Tuesday - go to churches in Oberifligen & Schopfloch to retreive family church records (this is the only day those church offices are open). Visit the moated castle in Glatt in afternoon. Overnight Glatt

Wednesday - leave Glatt early to drive to Zurich, need to be at airport by 10:30AM

Some questions-

1. Any suggestions on what we should stop to see between Basel and Schiltach? Is it Safe to leave luggage in car (probably station wagon) while sightseeing or better to head right to accomodation in Schiltach and then head out for an excursion in afternoon?

2. Any suggested things to explore on way from Schiltach to Sulz am Neckar?

3. Will we need GPS or will good map and detailed driving instructions printed from inet be enough?

4. Where might we find farmer's markets at which to stop?

5. How much time do we need to allow to drive from Sulz to Zurich airport on a Wednesday morning?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

1. If you have the leisure to add about 1h of driving time, go via the Feldberg, (highest peak in the BF) and Titisee.

From Basel go towards "Germany/Karlsruhe", follow the signs to "Loerrach", take the exit "Loerrach-Mitte" and turn left towards "Donaueschingen". In Donaueschingen take the Autobahn towards Stuttgart and exit at "Rottweil" (also a well worth seeing place) and follow the "B462" towards "Schramberg" and continue to Schiltach.

The BF is a very safe area, but you never know. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

3. IMO a map will do. You'll find good maps at every gas station.

4. They usually take place on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. You'll find them in every somewhat bigger place.

5. Expect about 2h of driving time.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 00:31
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

Thank you. That is helpful.

I will look into the route and places you mention.

We should have plenty of time for exploring the countryside on the trip from Basel to Schiltach as we have allowed about 5-6 hours.

Also expect to have time for a side trip between Schiltach and Sulz on day 2.

Any ideas?

I'm disappointed that we will not be in the BF on a Sat or Wed for the markets. I think that it adds local flavor to visit them when traveling to another country.

Does anyone have any thoughts on our plans to overnight in Schiltach and Glatt/Sulz? Our thoughts were with Schiltach for the quaint village atmosphere and proximity to the open-air farm museum and with Glatt for the castle and proximity to highway to Zurich for our morning trip to the airport.

Thank you

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

Market days vary from village to village so merchants can sell their products on more than one market. Here is a list, probably not complete but a start: schwarzwald-netz.com/168/Wochenmaerkte-Sueds…

Edited: 07 August 2012, 04:53
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

Thank you for the website with the market list. I will google-map the towns to see if we can get to one of those.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

If you visit the Feldberg peak, there is no need to leave the Black Forest by heading east. As you head to the NE after the mountain you will be on Hwy 500 which will take you to Titisee-Neustadt. Just stay on it and continue "north". At Thurner turn off in the direction of St. Märgen and St. Peter. 2.5km further, take the right which goes to the Hexenlochmühle (mill) which you can visit. Return the short few meter distance to the road junction and take the road to Wildgutach, it doesn't anymore get any more "Black Foresty" than this. When you run into the next road, you can either turn right and go to Gütenbach and Furtwangen which will put you back on Hwy 500 (if you continued on from Hexenlochmühle you would also arrive here, but it's not quite as nice of a drive but still lovely) and Schiltach, or turn left for Gutach and drive further along the Simonswalder Tal (valley). At Gutach heading NE along Hwy 294 will take you through Haslach and on to Schiltach, and at Hausach the excellent outdoor museum of Black Forest farmhouses is a kilometer or two to the south.

If you take the Hwy 500 route, you will pass through Triberg with its waterfall and cuckoo clocks.

Just NE of Schiltach is Alpirsbach with a nice monastery church.

I don't know about staying in Glatt, the moated castle/palace is nice, but I really haven't looked around to see what else is there besides the farm implement collection that is part of the palace. Personally, I would stay in Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) which isn't that far away and is my favorite town in Germany, just quintessential Germany, with its hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, castle, interesting nontourist shops, one of Germany's oldest universities, and the nextdoor delightful excellent well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ). Hotel am Schloss sits in the oldtown just below the castle, but if you stay there, make sure to print out their map of how to drive there.

Nearby is also Hohenzollern Castle ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com ) by Hechingen. This fairytale-like castle is one of Germany's most meaningful ones being the family seat of the Hohenzollerns of Prussian and Romanian kings and German emperors. Many people don't realize that Prussia held extensive lands in the SW of Germany.

Distances aren't large, and it makes little difference where you stay time-wise driving.

Oh, an excellent source of driving routes and good estimated driving times is www.viamichelin.com .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

I'm sure you considered stopping at Freiburg between Basel and Schiltach. It can give you a sense of a "larger" city near BF and is very lovely.

You may also want to stop in Rottweil, famous for BF Carnival.

You may also enjoy a day at the "therme" in Bad Durrheim:

http://www.solemar.de

I don't know why Tubingen and Hohenzollern are recommended, they are not that close by and are not in BF.They may make day trips but are not on your route. I cannot recommend a particular stop between Stillach and Sulz although you will pass thru a few small towns. It's only about 40 min, drive,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

You have given me many great ideas for routes and I appreciate the tip about the michelin site.

We have considered stopping in Freiburg but we will just have come off a Rhine cruise with visits to Cologne, Heidelberg, Strasbourg,etc so were thinking that visiting small villages would be nice and also give us a better feel for where our ancestors actually lived.

Also have read about Tuebingen on this forum and I know we would enjoy it immensely but not sure that we can fit it in in our limited time. We really don't want to stay any farther north than Sulz (and even that is pushing our limit) because of the morning drive we need to make to Zurich to catch flight back to US.

Think we will make 2 route plans based on the thoughtful info you have given and then when the time approaches, choose the one that best fits our mood and the weather forecast for those days.

8. Re: Need help with Black Forest itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 16:15