We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayern vs German Rail ticket

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Bayern vs German Rail ticket

Hi,

I am traveling solo for 10 days in Germany (from US). I have a dilemma about choosing rail ticket. My travel plans include Munich (2 days), Salzburg (1 day trip from Munich), Nuremberg (3 days with 2 day trips to Rotheburg o.d.T and Bamberg), then off to Garmisch area for 3 more days during which I want to visit the Fussen Castles and Zugspitze!

I know alot of things crammed but I am in my 20s and don't sleep when i am on vacation :)

Question - Bayern ticket appears to have limitations (e.g. no IC fast trains, only after 9am etc.). Would German Rail Pass for 10 days make more sense? The discounted spring cost is 270 EURO (27 EUR a day).Considering i want to take early trains and prefer fast IC connections not to waste time - would it make more sense? Any other options? Money is not an issue - I care about it being right.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,194 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Bayern vs German Rail ticket

There is no real question to answer here if money is not an issue. A railpass can do all your destinations at any hour. If you don't mind paying the €270 for 10 days of railpass, then just do that for the greatest flexibility and ease of purchase (just one ticket.)

Be aware however that a railpass is not a magic bullet that gives you what you prefer; there are no high-speed trains (or limited numbers thereof) for some of the smaller places you have in mind (Bamberg, Rothenburg, Garmisch, Füssen) which are served only by regional and local trains.

Also, it's not just the Bayern ticket vs. the German Railpass, but other daypasses are competitive as well. A VGN Tagesticket Plus will get you to Rothenburg and Bamberg and back to Nuremberg - for €17.50/day and at any hour of the day - on the regional trains. And if you buy one on Saturday, it's good on Sunday as well for the second day trip. (But this only matters for those who are concerned about price as well.)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
2. Re: Bayern vs German Rail ticket

Despite it's restrictions (only regional trains, on workdays only valid past 9am) a Bayern Ticket has also advantages compared to a German Rail Pass.

- it covers nearly all local public transport besides regional trains: U-Bahn (metro), trams, city buses and regional buses. E.g. the buses from Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Füssen to Hohenschwangau (Neuschwanstein Castle).

- it gives you discounts. E.g. 10% discount for the Zugspitze ticket.

To Nuremberg and Salzburg you can save so 20-30 minutes by taking a faster train (albeit the regional trains to Nuremberg are faster (200 kph) than the RailJet trains on the route to Salzburg). If you buy in advance you can get these trips however also from EUR 19 one way.

For the day trips from Nuremberg to Rothenburg and Bamberg the VGN Tagesticket Plus is the best option. Apart from being less it has also no past 9am restriction on workdays like a Bayern Ticket. Coverage is otherwise the same, just for a smaller area (VGN network instead of all of Bavaria).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Bayern vs German Rail ticket

This is excellent. I did not this!! Thank you so much. I decided to use VGN and Bayern Tickets for my trips. It comes 100 euros cheaper. I will also buy 1 way Munich to Nuremberg on IC for 19 euro on sale :-)

4. Re: Bayern vs German Rail ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 12:16