We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

My partner and I ended a great trip through Brussels and Amsterdam in Munich and were appalled at the rudeness of literally every single person we interacted with. Vendors seemed annoyed that they had to bother selling anything to us, metro operators wouldn't help direct us to ticketing kiosks and then threatened to fine us when we didn't know the protocols, and an old couple literally sat themselves down AT OUR LUNCH TABLE (it was not a communal table) and tried to light up a cigar. We will obviously never be coming to Munich again or spending another cent to people who clearly didn't want us there, but we were so confused by this behavior we wanted to ask people who might be able to explain. If it matters, we are a male/female white American couple in our early 30s who were dressed well and only trying to eat/drink/enjoy our brief time in Munich. Never again.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Restaurant Pils Corner
$$ - $$$, German, Grill, Croatian
Broeding
$$$$, Austrian, European, Central European
68 replies to this topic
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Come to Frankfurt next time, where the people are friendly.

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Since this contradicts the mast majority of experiences, I can only conclude that either you had a spectacularly bad luck, or it was your attitude for the most part that was mirrored by people you interacted with...

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
671 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Next time, better spend your vacation in Hillsborough, CA.

SaarLouis, Germany
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Hard to tell without having been there... Might be cultural misunderstandings, might be bad luck. The German ruedness capital is Berlin, but even there, the majority of people in the service industries tend to be friendly.

Concerning the lunch incident: There are places where sharing tables is common, and people might be able to explain what happened if you provide more details. Smoking inside a restaurant is forbidden, but might be considered acceptable sitting outside in some restaurants.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Obviously you had lunch at a beer-garden or out-door seating area. In most of those places there is no such thing as YOUR LUNCH TABLE.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

I think all tables are communal and people will join you if there is no empty table. They usually ask.

Was it outside? Unfortunately, smoking is permitted. I find the smoke annoying as well.

I can't vouch for the people of Munich, will find out next year. In Hamburg, everyone was friendly and helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

It must be your own fault!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,083 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Maybe it is your attitude? Of course they are communal tables and smoking is permitted. You might not like it, so be it. Usually people are friendly as long as you are friendly, I hardly hear that people feel they are rude when visiting as a tourist. That would be news to me

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
10,607 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Boy, that 1:3 in the cup final vs Frankfurt must have been a bigger a blow to the people of Munich than I thought...

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
671 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?

Oli, you nailed it!

Reply to: Why was everyone in Munich terrible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted