We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

HK
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

I am trying to book the train from Munich Hbf to Bern Hbf (Swiss) i DB website. I have some questions to ask before final booking.

DB website showing the stations is ~

Munchen Hbf > Kartsruhe Hbf

Kartsruhe Hbf > Bern, Swiss

1. about the Seat Requests, what is the exact meaning of "Saloon", "Open saloon with table" and "Compartment", will there a seating plan for booking;

2. about Location of the Seat, "Window, across from each other", is it meaning that two persons seat with face to face and next to window?

3. once I have made the full train tickets payment, will be reserved a seat numbers for us?

Thanks a lot

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

1) "Saloon" refers to open seating as on an airplane or bus. Seats face in both directions. "Open saloon with table" refers to the same open seating but with a table between the four seats. The tables are often used by people with computers or families. "Compartments" are six seats in an enclosed box with a doorway that exits onto the aisleway.

2) Unsure.

3) No. Tickets are separate from reservations. A ticket gives you transport. You have to buy a reservation to be guaranteed a seat.

HK
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

Hi TelePort,

Thanks for your reply and information.

For the reservation, you mean that I have to pay additional charge for getting a seat? Otherwise, I have to find a vacant or unoccupied seat when boarding into the train on?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

Yes, this is correct. A reservation costs 4 euro. Depending on the time and the day of the week it may be a good idea or not.

However, the route via Karlsruhe is a giant detour. There are a few direct trains from Munich to Zürich, from where it is just an hour to Been. Try to enter Linda as a "via"station to force this route.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 13:16
HK
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

May I know how to "force" the Linda as a "via" station.

I have checked the duration from Munich to Bern is around 6 hours. Do you it is still acceptable?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

When you use the following to do a query with www.bahn.com,

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

press the words 'Enter stopovers', that's where you use Lindau as an intermediate station.

HK
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

Thanks again.

I have checked the booking again. There is a direct EC train from Munich Hbf to Zurich Flughafen, 0 stop. The Duration is about 4 Hours 15 mins.

And, there is also IC train from Munich Hbf to Bern, via Zurich HB (1 stop), 5 hours 30 mins

I think the IC train is a better option, do you think so? ...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

That train to Bern with one stop is the same train EC 194. IC trains are just local trains, whereas EC trains are cross border trains. Here is a link to some pictures of this train EC 194

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

The train has much more than one stop. What you mean is with one change, in Zürich HB (Hauptbahnhof, main station). The train to Zürich also stops in the airport. So it is the same train you are looking at, at least until Zürich, not a "better" train.

Sorry, I realised how many typos my previous post had, due to auto-complete function...

Edited: 07 August 2012, 16:38
HK
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

Hi hadiwi56a,

You are right, the train is EC194 (Munchen Hbf > Zurich HB), then IC 832 (Zurich HB > Bern).

May I know, train model EC194 is same as EC196?

HK
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Booking Question - from Munich to Bern

Hi altamiro,

In DB booking, train from Munich to Bern, there are different trains. Some are 1 change, and then from 2 to 3 changes.

one of it is

Departure : 12:33

Arrival : 17:58

Duration : 5:25

Change : 1

Products : IC

Start/destinatio : Munchen Hbf > Bern

EC194 (Munchen Hbf > Zurich HB), then IC 832 (Zurich HB > Bern).