We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe railway

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Europe railway

raileurope.co.il/book-now/…

Does anyone know this railway company? Is it confidence?

Thanks,

Amit.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe railway

Avoid! They charge you expensive fees. If you are travelling by train in Germany check out www.bahn.de. This is the website of the German Railways.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe railway

I'll travel in Germany (Munich, Hamburg and Berlin), Belgium (Brussels) and Netherlands (Amsterdam).

Still avoid? What are the alternative companies?

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe railway

Use the national railways of each country to book tickets. For journeys in Germany or international journeys starting in Germany, use www.bahn.de. They have an English version of their website. If you book in advance, you can get really cheap fares. You can can even print tickets off at home. The German rail network is amazing!

Raileurope gets really bad press on TA as they rip you off, sell you tickets for trains that don't exist and customer service is poor.

Brez

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe railway

Wow, you really shocked me. I thought it a good one.

I went into the website you gave me and the price for 3 countries ticket is 250€.

Where can I buy and take my ticket?

Thanks a lot,

Amit

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe railway

Amit,

I am planning a trip to Germany later this year, I intend to book various tickets through the debahn site - one ticket for each trip, print off at home and carry them like I would for a plane ticket. If you book 92 days in advance you can get some amazing savings. I think my whole 5 week trip will be less than 250euro in train tickets. I will not be buying a pass of any kind, just individual tickets (for 2 people we'll be using a 'group' ticket) for each train trip we take.

I have avoided rail eurpoe on the advice of TA members on this forum.

safe travels

helen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe railway

@Amit_cohen "I went into the website you gave me and the price for 3 countries ticket is 250€"

Are you still talking about the Eurail pass? Since you are only going to Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, avoid those expensive passes. I don't know what your planned itinerary is, but if you intend to spend a lot of time in Germany, and doing long distance trips (say Berlin to Munich), the German railpass is better value than Eurail pass

bahn.de/i/…germanrailpass.shtml

(e.g. 5 days for € 211)

Eurail select 3 countries for 5 days is € 348

Just work out your exit point from Germany to Belgium, buy an advance purchase ticket 90 days ahead. From Belgium to the Netherlands, just buy normal Intercity trains, or again buy 90 days ahead for discounts

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe railway

and it's too funny that right beside the list of forum posts on the Germany front page is a nice bright ad/link for ... you guessed it ... Europe Rail.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe railway

Raileurope is not a "railway company". They do not operate trains. They are just a reselling ticket agency. Better book with those who really run the trains and issue the tickets: the national railway companies.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europe railway

"and it's too funny that right beside the list of forum posts on the Germany front page is a nice bright ad/link for ... you guessed it ... Europe Rail."

Not for everybody. Those ads are targeted for people in specific countries in which their computer is located. I'm sure that you probably don't usually get the GermanWings ads.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Europe railway

Probably Marcopolko - I just thought it was funny that ER was advertising on a site where their product is regularly canned as being a rip off. Understand the 'targeting' notion.