We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air conditioning needed in Berlin hotels??

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Air conditioning needed in Berlin hotels??

Planing a trip to Berlin in mid-September.

I have checked historical weather temps for this time of year and it appears that there can be a vast range of temperatures. Average appears to range from 7-28 Celsius (44-82 F) but generally with very few days on the high end.

I have read many reviews from various times of year on different hotels and see a recurring statement that the rooms without air conditioning (A/C) are too hot and stuffy.

I live in the U.S. (Southern California near the ocean) and we do not normally have A/C in our homes. Our temps are about the same as they appear to be in Berlin. Other than a few days out of the year when we may have abnormally high temps we do not really have the need for A/C in our homes to be comfortable (an electric fan and open windows can usually do the trick on hotter than average days).

So my question is................how hot/stuffy are the rooms in mid-Setpember in Berlin (how many degrees? and how much hoter than outside temps?) Assuming the room temps range from 7 -28 Celsius (44-82 F), I can't understand how they can be umbearably warm compared to what we are use to here in the beach area of Southern California.

I am just concerned because I have selected a couple of hotels that do not have A/C and I am wondering if we will end up being uncomfortable or worst case Berlin ends up having a heat wave the week we are there.

Sorry for the long post..............thanks in advance for any comments.

Ackselhaus
Ackselhaus
#4 of 636 hotels in Berlin
i31 Hotel
i31 Hotel
#5 of 636 hotels in Berlin
Hotel Q!
Hotel Q!
#9 of 636 hotels in Berlin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air conditioning needed in Berlin hotels??

A heat wave mid September is rather unlikely. Even if there might be some warm days, the nights will be cool. The common air conditioning system in Germany is called "windows" and every hotel room has at least one.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air conditioning needed in Berlin hotels??

Unfortunately, those windows don't always open. But a September heat wave is unlikely.

We had a miserable time in a Munich hotel about 10 years ago when the temps were in upper 80s and 90s with high humidity every day. We didn't get much sleep.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,508 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air conditioning needed in Berlin hotels??

I have to agree with what others have posted in the past. Look at air conditioning as insurance, you probably won't need it, but if you do, you'll be glad to have it.

Moscow
Level Contributor
259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air conditioning needed in Berlin hotels??

It seems that A/C in Berlin as unlike as heating in Shanghai :)

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,308 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air conditioning needed in Berlin hotels??

Opening a window is fine unless there is a lot of noise outside, which in the centre of Berlin is quite likely. Where I stay has requests by the windows not to leave them open as the hotel overlooks the zoo and there are alot of insects flying around! So the airco gets used.

6. Re: Air conditioning needed in Berlin hotels??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:40