We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

standard fare on bahn

vancouver
Level Contributor
144 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
standard fare on bahn

I just want to verify that when I buy a standard fare, even if the connection I chose said RB, I can take an IC or ICE right? When I buy standard fare, I'm basically just paying for 1 way or return on a specific day. But train type, train number, number of stops is not determined right?

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: standard fare on bahn

No, a standard fare ticket for an RB won't inlcude the surcharges for long distance trains like ICEs or IC/ECs. The train type influences the price of the standard fare. As standard fares don't sell out it is best to buy those tickets knowing which kind of trains you want to use.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: standard fare on bahn

The Deutsche Bahn website allows you to nominate the types of trains, by which you wish to travel, when you make the search for timetable and tickets.

The ICE is DB's flagship train and, together with the IC, offers high-speed services. Tickets for such trains generally cost significantly more than tickets for regional trains such as RE, RB and S-Bahn. Also, travel over long distances by ICE and IC trains generally involves more direct routes. Regional trains (as the name suggests) serve short regional distances meaning several changes of trains if travelling greater distances.

Do note, however, that advanced purchase tickets (known as SparScheine) are available for ICE trains at a fraction of the usual fare, but these tickets restrict travel to a specific train. If you miss the particular train, for which your ticket is purchased, the ticket ceases to be valid and you'll lose your money.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 05:43
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: standard fare on bahn

There are three categories of trains:

- ICE and other high speed trains

- Long distance conventional trains (IC, EC etc.)

- Regional train (RE, IRE, RB etc.)

You can always downgrade, i.e. take an IC/EC or regional train with an ICE ticket, or take a regional train with an IC/EC ticket, but not the other way around.

vancouver
Level Contributor
144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: standard fare on bahn

Yeah I noticed IC & ICE were more expensive, but had to find out. thanks

5. Re: standard fare on bahn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Weimar