We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel location in Estepona

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Best hotel location in Estepona

Hi, can someone suggest the best hotel location in Estepona? There are 6 of us going for a week, at the end of May, and would like to be central to both the Marina and the Old Town. Is this possible? Not having been before, I have no idea of the layout of the area. Any advise would be very welcome. The old town looks beautiful, but we don't want to stay somewhere that is too noisy.

11 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

Turista has covered the hotels in the old town in the FAQs top rh cnr. . I don't think there are any hotels in the Matina. There are some upmarket hotels to the west and east ( Kempinski) . These are not within walking distance of the old town.

Estepona is lovely. What attracted you in the first place.

Turista has just arrived in Estepona and I'm sure she will post when she's settled in.

England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

Does it have to be a hotel?

There are several threads on this forum covering appartements.

Will you have transport?

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
569 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

I.m busy in school at the moment, I'll get back to you later today!

Best wishes

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
569 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

Hullo Mandela, and welcome to our forum.

Now you don't give very much information about what you are looking for. If it's big modern hotels, then that means outside the town and driving or taxi-ing in, or relying on unreliably timed buses. If that's OK with you, then on the Marbella side there is the Kempinski, which is about a 40 minute walk to the town - you can do much of it along the Senda Literal coastal path, so no having to walk without pavements alongside the Fastway. This is a 5 star hotel.

Outside the town in the other direction, and also 40 minutes walk, along pavements at first and then along the promenade, is the 4 star NH Estepona Palace. There are other hotels, and apartments, along the coast too.

However, in the town itself there are several modest hotels which might suit you. No swimming pools,no gardens, but well sited.

This document gives details

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187437-c…

You go towards the end of the document to find details of:

Hotel Buenavista

Hotel Mediterraneo

Hotel Ciudad de Estepona

Best wishes

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

Sad to see El Pilar becoming a 'boutique hotel', usually ghastly and overrated/overpriced once that tag is applied. Or am I being pessimistic? Any news on the new hotel? I have fond memories of EP

I do hope Estepona isn't going to go what some consider 'upmarket' and totally lose its quirky ambience, small hostels are one of the great things all along this coast (and Spain generally) so it's disappointing when good ones change.

Stoofer

England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

Hi Stoofer

I 've been visiting Estepona for about 30 years and have watched it slowly change. . IMHO it's been done very tastefully. It's still a working town. The beautification of the streets in the old town is mrveous. Look at Turistas walks. The Passeo is great. There's still loads of little restaurants tucked away. The big hotels are on the outskirts. Some parts of the old town are being torn down and rebuilt tastefully.

A lot of towns have been wrecked but I think the Estepina Town Council have taken the right path.

Just saying

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

Hi Trickster

Good comments. Don't get me wrong, I do still like Estepona, I think some parts are being over gentrified if such a term exists but that's ok, better than decline.

Just asking about what I knew to be nice informal hostel turning into boutique hotel, to me it smacks of what I have seen so often elsewhere, once a place starts getting pretentious it's not so appealing. This might not be the case here, that's why I'm asking, I don't see the value in turning a lovely local place full of ambience and character into a boutique hotel unless it's to attract a different audience and charge more for what I would regard as less.

Just asking really, thanks

Stoofer

England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

I take your point. Those little hostals are great. Shame if they all go.

Edited: 04 February 2017, 02:23
Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
569 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

The owners of the Hostal El Pilar gave up because they wanted to retire, and none of their children were prepared to take it on.

Sadly, they haven't enjoyed much of a retirement as the father died earlier this week.

The Hostal La Malagueña is still going strong,just 10 yards away from El Pilar. Their front doors are opposite each other on the side street Raphael leading out of the Plaza de las Flores.

Best wishes

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel location in Estepona

Yep Trickster, many have disappeared in the name of progress.

Thanks for the info Turista, sad to hear and oh so sorry about the passing, I can picture the guy and have spoken in past visits, dreadful anytime but just into retirement feels like cheated. :-(

Stoofer

Reply to: Best hotel location in Estepona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Estepona