We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

England
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

News media are saying there of much worse delays at the border if you are thinking of taking a car in.

Wonder why that is ?

16 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,212 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

You can park at La Linea and walk across the border to Gibraltar.

England
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

Thanks Benny

I was thinking more of the people who need to drive in for some reason.

It's a good few years since we went to gib. When we did we always used to drive in, park in the superstore car park and do some shopping there. ( I believe there are restrictions there now). We also used to go in with an empty tank and fill up with petrol which was extremely cheap at the time. We some times did a circuit of the lower level going to Caleta Bay and Europa Point. And also to the Marina. We even drove up to the high level and went to the caves, siege tunnels and apes. So without a car we would have had to take a tour mini bus to do all that.

Obviously the hassle at the border crossing has been going on ever since the border was reopened. I think it's pathetic that the Spanish Authorities are taking this childish action to annoy travellers. The U.K. Government has been weak in not applying pressure to get it resolved. Plenty of spaniards work in Gib and they can't be too happy too.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

Not sure what you are getting at trickster to be honest. Their have been some tensions around Brexit and Gib in the last week, nothing more than the usual childish posturing. I'm not sure how the British government can 'put pressure on to get it resolved' - in a weak position militarily and geographically!

Benny's advice is sound. I'm not sure it will ever be resolved to be honest and it rather gobsmacks me when I see someone on A Place in the Sun saying they will move to Estepona or somewhere and 'get a job in Gibraltar'.

I mean, really?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

queues in and out gibraltar have been long last 2-3 years. it is nothing new and obviously not related to the childish attitude of very few "politicians" and media that like to wave flags looking for short minded people support.

Edited: 06 April 2017, 15:35
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

We were in Gib Tuesday of last week, no hold up in or out of Gib, held passports up to Police, who just waved us on without even looking at them, we left about 3.30pm by car..x

England
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

John... I was just posting in case anyone holidaying in Estepons area and thinking of driving in, hadn't seen the latest escalation. However Rosebush got in and out ok so it's a confusing situation.

I just think it's a shame that many people are being inconvenienced.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,896 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

The Spanish want Gibraltar back and it will be problem on and off until they succeed. The customs searches have been fairly comprehensive at times, hence the possible delays.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,729 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

Yesterday was a bad day for getting into Spain. Up to 2 hours delay. You can track the conditions using this twitter feed from Gib Police

https://twitter.com/gibraltarborder

scroll for hourly reports. today seems quiet.

Until Spain decides to close the border entirely there will always be interruptions to the free flow of traffic.

Walking into Gibraltar seems to be safer these days.

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
569 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

Yes, park in La Linea and then walk into Gib - you just hold your passport up as you walk through the frontier, they don't look at it.

You can then either taxi, bus or walk into town. I prefer the walk with the thrill of crossing the runway and waiting for the klaxon warning of an approaching aircraft!

Best wishes to all from sunny Estepona., the Garden of the Costa del Sol

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar

Check queues www.frontierqueue.gi/split-view-cam.aspx

Reply to: Traffic queues in and out of gibraltar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Estepona