We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week Sevilla in and around

Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
One week Sevilla in and around

Dear friends,

we have one week to spend with friends in Seville area; we would like to stay in Seville, Granada and Cordoba, is it worth and how would you spread your days like 3 days Seville, two days Cordoba, etc. we ahve a rental car but would rather use public trasportations. Thank you for your help to plan this trip.

Andrea (Italy)

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
72,773 posts
3,830 reviews
1. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

Andrea:

For trains:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

For Seville:

A very good hotel in Seville is the Hotel Becquer (which has a garage), walkable to most sights. Beside the hotel is a good tapas restaurant called Pick & Stay. Across the street is a good restaurant called El Cairo.

What to see in Seville:

1. Cathedral/Giralda Tower - The Cathedral is the third biggest church in Europe.

2. Alcazar - The palace rivals the Alhambra.

3. Plaza de España - The most beautiful plaza in Spain.

4. Casa de Pilatos - Beautiful palace with wonderful gardens. See the upstairs apartment.

5. Museo de Bellas Artes - One of the most important museums in Spain.

6. Church of El Salvador - One of the most beautiful Baroque churches. The ticket from the Cathedral allows one to see this church for free.

7. Museum-Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - Has some of the best Roman mosaics in Spain. See the upstairs apartment.

A good flamenco place is Los Gallos (Plaza de Santa Cruz, 11). The main shopping streets are Calle Tetuan and Calle Sierpes.

For Cordoba:

The best sights in Cordoba:

1. Mezquita/Cathedral - The most important architectural feature of the Mezquita are the double horseshoe arches, made of jasper, onyx, marble, and granite. There are 856 columns in the church and they seem to be a sea of arches and columns to the visitor.

2. Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos - Has beautiful gardens.

3. Palacio de Viana - The palace has important artwork and there are 12 different patios, all beautiful.

A good restaurant near the Mezquita is Casa Pepe de la Juderia at Calle Romero, 3.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,212 posts
292 reviews
2. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

You can stay in Seville for 3 nights and use very good bus between cities of Cordoba and Granada run by www.alsa.es

They do have offers on fares making it quite reasonable so study the schedules especially the more expensive bus type which very comfortable. For Granada a minimum 2 nights is good but study the Alhambra details and get also your entry tickets on line on official Ticketmaster web.

Rossendale
Level Contributor
43 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

7 days means you lose at least one day in the arrival & return trip so you end up cuttin yr trip quite short by visiting all 3 cities in 6 days and altho transport links are good you still lose a lot of time gettying to each city (plus transfers, check ins etc)

I say this because we spent an excellent 6 days in Seville and saved Cordoba and Granada for another trip. Granada is a lengthy trip.

Seville has lots to offer and i am thinking about the atmosphere in general as well as the architecture and individual buildings. My advice is to spend some time there and get to know it (particularly the food and bar hopping for Raciones and Tapas). for a change of scenery we took a one hour train ride to Jerez which was a really pleasant day. Cadiz was further and although i believe it is excellent we, avoided a trip there for that reason.

if you want to tick off the 3 big cities then stick with yr plan but they are all magnificent in their own way (less so Cordoba perhaps.....and you could go there for a day trip from Seville) . I also recommend an apartment in the heart of Seville ...........there are some lovely ones right in the middle of the old part of town (I dont mean Santa Cruz). its great to be apart of the city as a temporary resident rather than on the outside looking in as a hotel guest.

Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

Thank you my friends that was very useful, I have one week beacuse of the flight !

Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

Gracias !!!

Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

Thank you Benny ! If we had to skip one between Cordoba and Granada which of the two is better considering that both are very nice ? Hard question ?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
160 reviews
7. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

I think Granada is best saved for another trip, Seville, Cordoba, Jerez or even Cadiz are closer together and will make a super trip.

California
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
332 reviews
8. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

Two places only. You lose one day on each side of a trip and lose more time with traveling between places. I would choose Seville and Cordoba. Make sure you check out temperatures because the last time I looked, it was 106 F. in Cordoba last week.

Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

Thank you Painnurse ! Well I live in Sicily about the same climate ! Ciao!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
10. Re: One week Sevilla in and around

With a rental car you can visit the smaller white villages which are very pretty. Arcos de la Frontera, Grazalema, Zahara, and many more...

And you could spend one or two nights in this wonderful farm that was turned into a B&B: www.cortijobarranco.com , it is only 7 km from Arcos de la Frontera, another beautiful white village draped over a hill, with nice tapas places and restaurants. The B&B has romantically decorated rooms, free wifi, a library and lounge area, a nice outdoor patio, very friendly hosts (one of them is British which might help communicating), a small but lovely pool. Their breakfasts are very good (though you pay a bit extra for them).

With one week I'd stick to two bases maximum though.

For the cities, use public transport. Driving a car in central Sevilla will give you a headache. I managed (being used to hectic traffic in Amsterdam and Paris), but sweated like a pig from all the bouncy narrow cobblestone one-way streets, confusing big roundabouts and sudden turns (having to swap to the correct lane within one second). And parking is quite expensive, about €25 a day. I am guessing the same goes for Córdoba. I did not drive in Granada but I know parking there is also expensive.

Cecilia

travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Edited: 19 May 2015, 17:29