We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hour stop in Zaragoza trains?

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
3 hour stop in Zaragoza trains?

Hello, I will be visiting Spain in July and I will visit Mallorca, Barcelona and Madrid. I will take the train to go from Barcelona to Madrid and I saw that on the way I could visit Zaragoza. I planned on beaing in Zaragoza for about 3 hours visiting the sights. My question is if I can book a train from Barcelona to Madrid get down in Zaragoza explore the city and hop on another train to Madrid when I finish with the same ticket or do I need to buy a ticket from Barcelona to Zaragoza and another from Zaragoza to Madrid?

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Province of Zaragoza, Spain
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 hour stop in Zaragoza trains?

You have to buy two tickets: Barcelona to Zaragoza and Zaragoza to Madrid.

Take into account that Zaragoza is a big city, so 3 hours is not enough. You could leave your luggage at the station lockers in the morning, spend the day in Zaragoza if you want to "see the sights" and then take an evening train to Madrid.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,448 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 hour stop in Zaragoza trains?

You need two different tickets.

https:/…Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html

I would stay at least a day in Zaragoza.

For Zaragoza:

Downtown Zaragoza is the Plaza de España. The main shopping area is here, together with many restaurants. If one stays near this place, most of the city center is walkable. Use Booking.com to screen hotels and apartments in The Real Heart of Zaragoza. Good shopping streets are the Paseo de Independencia and the Gran via.

What to see in Zaragoza:

1. The Aljaferia - A beautiful Moorish palace.

2. Basilica of Our Lady of El Pilar

3. La Seo Cathedral

4. Pablo Gargallo Museum

5. Museum of the Crystal Rosary

Mentioned in this post
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 hour stop in Zaragoza trains?

If you only have 3 hours you'd really need to take a taxi to the very heart of the historic centre, as it would be a 30 min walk from the Delicias Starion. Make sure you get the view of the Basilica from the north side of the river; perhaps ask the taxi to drop you at the north end of the Puente de Piedra Bridge and walk over that.

Which three hours you have is crucial; many of the museums and attractions will close in the afternoon, re-opening at 16.00. Of course just wandering the old streets is fun, but there's more to Zaragoza than that. (See my recent lengthy review!)

The beautiful Aljaferia Palace is closer to the Delicias station, but by the time you've got there and looked round, your time for anything else in the heart, 20 mins away by foot, would be EXTREMELY limited. It's really an EITHER/OR situation. Also check opening hours; it's closed when the regional government is sitting.

Mentioned in this post
Puente de Piedra
Puente de Piedra
286 Reviews
Zaragoza, Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Reply to: 3 hour stop in Zaragoza trains?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zaragoza