We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British tourists

Maelbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
British tourists

Hi,

I love Sitges and have been quite a few times but never in July. Want to have authentic Spanish experience and speak Spanish so don’t want lots of English speaking tourists. Would the first 3 weeks in July be okay for this? Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,279 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: British tourists

I cannot imagine you not bumping into English-speaking visitors any time of the year, let alone July. You can always speak Spanish to the locals though.

Sitges itself is a tourist town though. With services and restaurants catering to visitors, it's hard to say the town offers an "authentic" experience. You should head to other destinations if you want to see less visitors.

Nearby Sant Pere de Ribes might make a good base if you don't want 100% full blown tourism in your face.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
116 reviews
2. Re: British tourists

The people of Sitges are Catalans but are happy to speak Spanish.

Being a seaside Town, Sitges attracts many visitors and you will hear a number of different languages being spoken in Cafes, Restaurants, Bars & at breakfast in your Hotel.

The early part of July will be busy but is not yet "School-holiday" season. Thus you might not be surrounded by families with School-age children.

Enjoy

Anthony

Alnwick, United...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: British tourists

The Scottish schools break up end of June , so you could have many of them on holiday ,

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: British tourists

you could look for a Costa Brava destination. closer to the French border there are more French tourists and less English speaking tourists.

the main downside vs Sitges is that public transport options are worse in la Costa Brava area.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
993 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: British tourists

British tourists or English speaking? 😊 There will be plenty of both in July but you could try Vilanova which is the next town on the railway as it's much less touristy

Alnwick, United...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: British tourists

Think title of post could have been better , after all the OP speaks English , so maybe it is just British tourists!?

Costa Blanca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sitges
Level Contributor
991 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: British tourists

Not quite sure what you mean by 'authentic Spanish experience'. I'm reckoning the locals (who are very much in the majority), would consider themselves 'authentic'. Also given that Sitges is a very popular holiday destination for Spaniards (and a popular weekend destination for many Barcelonans) you'd have plenty of opportunities to practice your Spanish (and Catalan if you want to be really authentic).

Staines, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: British tourists

In early July you will definitely encounter English speaking tourists , but there again there will be a multitude of nationalities enjoying the town . That for me is part of the charm of Sitges , so many different types of people from all over the world relaxing and experiencing the fantastic beaches and amazing choice of bars and restaurants, along with the museums and art galleries. Sitges offers a truly eclectic mix of people and experiences.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
116 reviews
9. Re: British tourists

Whilst I adore Spain, I must confess that, apart from a few words, I cannot speak Catalan or Spanish.

Whatever "experience" I have been seeking in Sitges, I have discovered it and have been delighted with it.

On my latest visit, last May, I was the only visitor, at 11am on a Saturday, at the Stampfli Foundation Art Gallery. I was given a guided tour by a very pleasant young man and a charming woman, who was awaiting a group of German Tourists to whom she was going to give a special tour. For more than an hour I was able to discuss all the Artworks with these people, in depth, in English. They shared their knowledge of the works and the artists and I reciprocated with my views on the quality of the Modern artworks that I was seeing. It was a wonderful experience.

Cheers

Anthony

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
615 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: British tourists

Sitgesfan2016 puts it very well indeed!

July is a very busy month, as is August, with many different nationalities represented.

That's all part of the charm for me too.

I think you WILL find many British tourists during July.......we'll be two of them......but there will be far more locals than British tourists, so you can certainly enjoy the Sitges experience.

We have visited Sitges in March, April, May, June, July, August and October and have always come across British tourists, but probably less in October than any other time, although it's not something I've really thought about before. :)

Reply to: British tourists
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sitges
Recent Conversations