We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea urchins

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Sea urchins

Are there sea urchins in the sea at Sitges? Do we need to take rubber shoes?

Mentioned in this post
Sitges
Sitges
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea urchins

I'm there Sept-Oct each year. I swim most days. I've never seen sea urchins or heard of anyone having problems. Of course they may be in deeper water and could, I suppose be around the Groynes (but you shouldn't be swimming off them).

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sitges
Level Contributor
930 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea urchins

All the beaches around Sitges are sandy and therefore there's nowhere for sea urchins to lodge. You may be used to rocky outcrops in the Greek islands, for instance, where urchins abound - nothing like that around Sitges beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Sitges
Sitges
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea urchins

Many thanks for your speedy replies. We're actually going tomorrow and someone told us yesterday they got their feet spiked there, but think it may have been back in the 60's!! Have taken the rubber shoes out!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sitges
Level Contributor
930 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea urchins

Can't imagine where they might have been paddling - even in the 60's!

Enjoy! We 've got to wait another 3 weeks...

Greater London...
Level Contributor
54 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea urchins

I've swum in the sea around Sitges many times over the years and have never see or heard or urchins there. It's the wrong environment for them

Mentioned in this post
Sitges
Sitges
6. Re: Sea urchins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 12:16