We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary - is it realistic.

Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Help with itinerary - is it realistic.

My wife has asked for a month in Italy for her 50th birthday. Luckily for me she wants to take our daughter and me along. She has been reading guide books on Italy for the past two months and has come up with her wishlist itinerary. It sounds fantastic in the guidebooks and what we can plan from another continent. My concern is things can be very different once you are in Italy and that some of our locations will be hard to put together, i.e. connect from one to the next. Another concern is we are trying to do too much. Travel can be exhausting and with so many destinations I'm wondering if we wont be getting as much out of Italy and our holiday as an Itinerary with longer stays and fewer stops. All travel within Italy will be by train. Any input appreciated. Here it is.

Fly to Rome Three nights in Rome, three nights in Naples, four nights in Amalfi, three nights in Florence, two nights in Venice, two nights in Garda, two nights in Milan, three nights in Como, three nights at Lake Maggiore, three nights outside Cinque Terra, two nights in Rome. Fly home.

Thanks in advance.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Help with itinerary - is it realistic.

That's a lot of short stays in a lot of areas and you'll lose time with the moves. With the packing up, taking trains or buses to another city/area, checking in, etc., you will lose a lot of time.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
2. Re: Help with itinerary - is it realistic.

Well, you've got three lakes in there for a start. I'd remove one of them and add the days to Venice. Two nights in Venice is really only one day and perhaps a bit, taking into account what jerryott said. That's far too short a time for Venice.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Help with itinerary - is it realistic.

Do you have to fly in and out of Rome ? It would save a lot of backtracking if you could fly into one airport ,perhaps Rome in the south , then fly back from northern airport like Milan. Find out what airports are available first before you start planning your itinery.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,768 posts
4. Re: Help with itinerary - is it realistic.

You have 11 places in that amount of time - whew!

I suggest sitting down and looking at the train website, www.trenitalia.com, to see how long the train travel time is for each of these moves and then add one hour to each side of that train travel to account for checking out, getting to the train station (usually good to be there about 15-20 minutes prior to train departure), getting to the new hotel, checking in - and, realizing you won't be able to get inside your room usually until about 2 p.m. (average check-in hour)

I too think doing an open jaw ticket would work best for this itinerary - i.e., fly into Venice and home from Rome. And, yes, add 1 or 2 more nights to Venice - in the time you have allotted, you will barely see anything there.

Keep in mind that everything takes more time than you think it will - and, a the cities have thousands of years of history and have so very much to see - Unless the plan is to only see the most popular sites (when there are countless other worthy, extraordinary sites that tourists forego to scrunch them all in in just a few days), I'd suggest considering padding out your cities (Rome, Florence, Venice) more - you have a month which is a nice amount of time to actually get a true experience of these amazing places.

Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Help with itinerary - is it realistic.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I can convince my wife to drop Lake Maggiore in favour of two more days at Como and one more in Venice. She has highlights everywhere so I'm not sure how to trim off any more stops. As for flights I'm still researching them but the best deals appear to be flying in and out of the one location. If I can find a deal for Rome in Milan out I'll take it.

6. Re: Help with itinerary - is it realistic.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 13:21