We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vesuvius by 4x4

Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Vesuvius by 4x4

I am looking to book this trip but I can only find local company that does it at €87 each

Viator are advertising the trip at €70 each but I am not sure who Viator use for the trips?

Can anyyone offer some advice on best options please?

Many Thanks

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vesuvius by 4x4

Did you check how far the vehicle goes? I haven't been on the trip, but it is INCONCEIVABLE to me that it goes right to the crater. Did you notice the word "hike" in the description? Find out how far the hike is! Because Viator is an intermediary, you may have to wait some time for a reply to an inquiry.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,043 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vesuvius by 4x4

This one very clearly says that after the 4x4 ride you walk with the guide up to the edge of the crater: tourguidenaples.com/it/tours/escursioni_di_t…

You might try looking at TA reviews of similar trips: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

AZ
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vesuvius by 4x4

Busvia del Vesuvius does these from Pompeii and Herculaneum I believe. They are probably who the other tour groups actually use. Much cheaper to book directly.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
490 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vesuvius by 4x4

Thanks all

Yes I was aware there is a hike at the end, not sure I like the sound of the visitor option so I will contact other firms

ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vesuvius by 4x4

You don't need to pay for an expensive tour. Busvia is the only company that does the 4x4 trip. We bought our tickets at their desk beside Pompeii Scavi station. € 20 each.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
72 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vesuvius by 4x4

I pre-booked for our large group later this summer. 22 euros for adults, 7 euros for children under 1.2m and free for 0-3 years old.

They asked for bank transfer but allowed me to use PayPal as long as I included the fees.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vesuvius by 4x4

i have done the 4x4 tour in the big ex army wagon, with a 10 minute hike to the top and then after the hike we were took by a lovely air conditioned tour bus to a local vineyard for lunch and wine tasting. was one of the highlights of our stay, this was via viator and was exceptional. it was last october we did it, would check to the website to see if its still running

8. Re: Vesuvius by 4x4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2017, 12:16