We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

Hello!

My boyfriend and I will be spending a few days in Naples in July and would like to take a ferry to one of the nearby towns.

I'm not entirely sure in the differences in all these towns and wondered which people would suggest if you could only pick one. I've read that Procida is perhaps a little less touristy, and that Sorrento is essentially Brits abroad, while Capri is over run with tourists in the high season...

We like walking, good food, good scenery, pretty streets and places that feel a little more authentic. I'd also looked at Positano, but I think a day trip here from Naples might be a little ambitious? We won't have a car so it'll be train/ferry we go by.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

15 replies to this topic
Central, Indiana
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

I think you sort of answered your own question in that, of the group, Procida may feel the most authentic in that it's not quite as touristy. I unfortunately can't help you from personal experience. My husband and I plan to visit next spring and are hoping to visit Procida ourselves.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

Hi, Procida is an excellent choice. A tiny island, with a peculiar atmosphere but not particularly rich in specific sites to visit, perfect for a day-trip. You can just wander around, soak up the local atmosphere, sunbathe and swim.

For what concerns the other options. Sorrento is a touristy resort town much beloved by your fellow countrymen, but it's still an interesting town dating back to the Roman age with many historical sites and small museums to visit. And yes, a day trip to Positano is doable but also a bit ambitious. Moreover Positano is full of tourists, like Capri.

I would stick to Procida, which is atmospheric, untouristy and easy to visit from Naples. You may consider Sorrento as a second option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

Thanks both for your replies - that’s really helpful and good to know that my initial research and thoughts were about right!

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

We have decided upon Procida following the advise above. I was looking at purchasing return tickets for this trip from the Caremar website - is this advised? Or can we buy on the day for the same price? Or is another website better priced? Any advice welcome!

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

Hi

There is no need to book ferry tickets in advance. I agree with all of the advice and also think you summed up the three possible destinations succinctly but you missed out Ischia. It's slightly more touristy than Procida but it's much bigger with lots of pretty towns to visit, famous gardens, spas, sandy beaches and the magnificent Aragonese Castle.

My photo album below shows all of the places that interest you apart from Capri because there are crowds of people on every photo:-)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/eddie0/pi1707

http://www.ischiareview.com/

Eddie

Level Contributor
3,345 posts
102 reviews
6. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

But tickets day of. Make sure to visit the port of Corrichella - great place for lunch too. We hired a taxi driver at the port and he took us to all of the highlights on the island, dropped us at port for lunch and then picked us up and returned us to ferry. Beautiful, non touristy little island.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,279 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

There's no need to buy ferry tickets in advance. Wait until you are there because the weather may impact which day you travel and changing a pre-purchased ticket can be difficult or, in some cases, impossible.

uk
Level Contributor
668 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

Pozzuoli is also worth considering, some Roman ruins, attractive port with plenty of restaurants (but busy on weekends )

Can be reached from Montesanto Metro very easily (But it MUST be the metro train, not the BIG train, which will dump you a long hike from the port )

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
9. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

Hello! I have another question regarding this one. I understand the best place to get the faster ferry to Procida is from the Napoli Beverello port; which carrier is better though - Snav or Caremar? I read one review that said Caremar was a bit beaten up and old but can't find much on the matter. Any opinions welcome and much appreciated!

Isola d'Ischia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?

Hello!

Both Snav and Caremar have very good ships, maybe SNAV is just a little bit better (it is owned by MSC Group).

Choose any company who operate that routes without any problem.

Has said above it is not necessary to book tickets in advance (if you don't have a car) but to consult

timetables of ferries and hidrofoils, the very updated and most used website is:

For Ischia: https://www.traghetti-ischia.info/en/

For Procida: https:/…procida

Bye!

Edited: 12 July 2018, 00:20
Reply to: Naples day trip - Sorrento, Capri, Ischia or Procida?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted