We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
22 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

After a week in Tuscany we'll be staying overnight in Rome and flying out early the next morning. We'd like to return our rental car the evening before and stay that night as close to the airport as possible. Any suggestions of hotels with shuttle service that are close to the airport? Thanks. --David

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

Within the airport, you have two: Airport Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn. Both offer free shuttle service to the airport. Though the airport Hilton is essentially attached to the terminals via the catwalk, you would need to the take the shuttle to terminal 5 for your flight to the US.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,556 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

either stay AT the airport in one of the hotels noted above -- preferably the Airport Hilton OR stay in Rome and cab in or train in, in the morning.

near the airport is the worst of both worlds -- inconvenient and unattractive -- and getting a ride to the airport is always chancy

in a similar circumstance, we flew in from Barcelona, checked into the Hilton and then took the train into Trastevere, had dinner, and took the train back -- the Hilton also has a shuttle into Rome which might work for dinner in Rome - when we did it, we could literally walk from our hotel room to the terminal -- now the international terminal does require an internal shuttle

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

I would agree that once you're out at an airport hotel, you're pretty much "out there." It can be challenging to get into town for an evening... and then most "to-Rome" shuttles cease operation too early in the evening. I recommend staying in Rome my last night (turning the car in at Roma Termini) but I understand your situation. So you might look at this list of airport hotels recommended by booking and venere guests:

http://tinyurl.com/hotels-fco

But as suggested, DO KNOW the exact hours of operation of the shuttle service from the accommodation you select. Many claim to have a 24-hour shuttle, and yes, it's parked right out front! But many don't have anyone to drive the shuttle until after 07:00 - so do ask in advance! Otherwise you're looking at an expensive taxi ride in a Fiumicino taxi to the airport (€20-€25 that time of day to go three miles).

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

After 10 days in Tuscany, we returned our rental car and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn last October for our early morning flight back to the States the next day. I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel - much newer and nicer than what I was expecting. And the shuttle was very reliable. We took it twice - we dropped my in-laws off at the hotel and then my husband and I returned the rental car at the airport - very easy. We then caught the shuttle bus back to the hotel and had a very nice dinner. The breakfast the next morning was awesome - anything you could possible want. The shuttle to the airport that morning ran frequently and was on time. I highly recommend this hotel for early morning, hassle-free flights to the US.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

At the Airport Hilton, as Janet mentioned there is a free shuttle that takes you in to downtown Rome - it runs regularly all day. The drop-off and pickup is very near the Vittorio Emanuel monument. Unfortunately the Hilton Garden does nt provide this service. Every time I have stayed at the Airport Hilton, I have used this shuttle to spend the day or evening in Rome, see some sights and grab a meal.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

I'll second the advice to either stay AT the airport, meaning at the Hilton, or else stay in central Rome. After dropping off your rental car, you can take the train into Rome. If you stay near the train station, and if your flight isn't terribly early, you can take the train to the airport in the morning. Otherwise, there's a fixed fare of 40 euros for a taxi to the airport, at all hours of the day or night, for up to four people and their luggage.

My daughter once stayed at an "airport hotel" that offered free shuttle service. She ended up having to pay for a cab in both directions. On arrival there was an hour wait for the shuttle, and in the morning, the service didn't start until too late for her flight. In addition, there was no place to eat anywhere near the hotel. She would have had to walk along a busy highway to get a pizza. She started out, then turned back and ate at the overpriced and mediocre hotel restaurant.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 01:22
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

Cromotheraphy, sauna or Hidromassage would help the body before the flight. Hotel La Riva at Ostia Lido offers these services and the shuttle to FCO.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
22 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

Thanks everyone. We went with mom83 and booked the Hilton Garden Inn. On the last night of our 2 week trip we'll be thinking home, not Rome! We leave before 7:30 am the next day, and to get there on time etc we wanted to be as close as possible. Thanks again.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

I don't think you will be disappointed. The hotel rooms are quite nice, but small. We thought the food at the restaurant was actually quite good - and this was after all the marvelous food we had in the Val d'Orcia the 10 days before. Check and see what time their shuttle starts running in the morning - you have an earlier flight than we did.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel close to Fiumicino Airport

If your flight is very early, you can reserve the shuttle the night before for an earlier departure time in the morning. It is still free.