We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

Does anyone know if you need tickets for the Easter Mass inside St. Peters? (Is entrance by ticket? Invitatation only? ) Are there several masses throughout the morning? And if we are just permitted in the Square, any idea how early you would have to get there in order not to be a mile back? Any information at all would be appreciated.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

It's too early for specific information about Easter 2014; Pope Francis has been changing a lot of former customs. In the past, there were two papal Easter masses. The Easter Vigil Mass, held on the evening before, and the papal Mass celebrated in St. Peter's Square on Easter Sunday, usually at 10:15. Both required tickets, which are free. Almost all events at which the pope presides require tickets. The main exception is the Angelus in St. Peter's Square on Sundays, which is substituted by the Regina Coeli prayer in the Easter season.

The Prefecture of the Papal Household has a procedure for requesting tickets, and they also publish the papal calendar, which indicates which papal events need tickets.

vatican.va/various/prefettura/index_en.html

In addition to the Papal masses, there are other masses inside the Basilica on Easter, but the pope doesn't preside at these. Here is the normal mass schedule of the Basilica:

santasusanna.org/popeVatican/basilicas.html

Since the Easter papal mass is at 10:15, obviously the schedule is different on Easter. I suspect that the morning masses inside the basilica, with the possible exception of the 9 AM mass for the parish of St. Peter's (Vatican residents) would not be able to take place because access to the basilica would be blocked by the mass in the square. And since it's a long mass, and they have to dismantle all the infrastructure of the papal mass, I doubt that even the normal 12:15 mass could take place. If you want to go to a mass other than the papal mass on Easter, I think your best option would be the 4 PM and 5 PM masses.

You could probably ask for further information at the contact link on the Santa Susanna website. They are the American Catholic church in Rome, and their own Easter mass might be a good alternative.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

Thank you for such a complete and extremely helpful reply !

Holywood N Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

Just received tickets for both in the post. Taking my parent as a golden wedding present. Can't believe it.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

You're very lucky; it's hard to get tickets for the Easter masses.

Lakewwod,Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

How did you get the tickets this early? I requested and was told to call back 4/16/2014 to confirm that i would get them. Thanks

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

I wrote to the Vatican requesting tickets,back in October,and got them a few weeks later,for Easter 2014

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

I also just got a fax from the Prefettura Della Casa Pontificia verifying that I would be able to attend the Easter Vigil Mass in St. Peter's Basilica for me and my wife on Holy Saturday. Very thrilled.

Getting a service to fax the Vatican (since they don't accept email submissions) was the most challenging.

I downloaded the request form and joined www.myfax.com and got a service that takes the electronic form and converts it into a fax.....it also gives you a fax number for a response.

Worked great.

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

Wow,we are both so excited! We have to collect our tickets for Easter Sunday Mass from the Bronze Doors in St Peter's Square. Thrilled and happy.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

congratulations....maybe we'll see you around the Vatican. Have a great time.

Islamabad, Pakistan
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter Services at St. Peter's 2014

i am in pakistan and i want to join an easter prayer at st. peters square plz any1 tell me the procrdure that how can i apply now from i can get form