We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna in January

Montezuma, ks
Level Contributor
25 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Bologna in January

I am traveling to Bologna in early January and am looking for travel tips. My wife and I prefer to walk and see the sights and would like to stay as far away from the typical "tourist" destinations as possible.

We enjoy quiet "off the beaten path" locations and dining.

Can anyone recommend some restaurants/shops/cafes etc that have that locals only feel?

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bologna in January

Bologna is not a tourist city, there are some but nothing to do with Florence, Rome or Venice, so you won't find places for tourists, any restaurant in centre or out, any bar, café is 1st of all a place for "bolognesi".

As for monuments or other places, forget long lines or big groups, you can go anywhere and find mainly local people.

The only things I usually see and it's typical of tourists is to take pictures in food shops in centre: it's so funny to see them take a picture of prosciutti or tortellini!

For ideas of where to go, have a look at previous post on the forum.

Silvia

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Devon, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bologna in January

Absolutely agree, Silvia. There are tourists here - us for one! But it's not 'touristy' even though it's such a great place to visit. I laughed out loud about the comment about taking pictures of the food - that is us too. But honestly, it is so amazing to noi inglesi - that abundance of fantastic food, whether it's pasta, peppers or prosciutto, it's all so beautifully presented - and it all tastes fabulous.

Edited: 01 November 2012, 20:20
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,631 posts
729 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bologna in January

I agree too, Bologna is itself off the beaten path. Seemingly even most Italians of other regions, unless they go to the famous Motor Show to see the exhibition and to come back immediately, practically ignore it and have a very vague idea of it.

When I was in the Santo Stefano complex, which may be regarded as one of the most impressive and best conserved medieval sites in Italy, inside there were less than 10 people. If it was in Florence I guess there would be a 20 metres long queue at the entrance.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Montezuma, ks
Level Contributor
25 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bologna in January

Thank you all very much. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Silvia, I will also be a typical tourist taking pictures of food. Italy is a fantasy land for most of us tourists, full of things we have heard of but never seen or experienced. Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I look forward to putting a smile on your face when you walk by and see me posing with a plate of pasta and a glass of wine.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bologna in January

Hope you did not misunderstand.:I realy like seeing tourist taking photos of food, they (and you) are so nice and you see you really appreciate all these things.

Bologna is considered from bolognesi a sort of very big village where everybody know each other.

In the past there were no tourist at all, so I'm very happy to see that now there are, even if not the same quantity of many ther towns (and this is positive for certain aspects), but seeing tourists, mainly from abroad, walking around the centre gives to the town an international atmosphere I really love.

Enjoy your stay and I don't know from where you are from but consider that in January it is very cold here.

Silvia

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Montezuma, ks
Level Contributor
25 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bologna in January

Silvia, I completely understand and appreciate your advice. Very excited to visit and looking forward to the experience. Thanks again.

7. Re: Bologna in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2013, 18:17