We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in the Italian Riviera

Dubai
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in the Italian Riviera

Hi, we plan to visit the Italian Riviera perhaps end-March- early April... I do have some ideas on what we could do, but your inputs I am sure would be very useful.

Our main interest is in scenic beauty and some cultural inputs.Local food and drink too. Not too much physical stress ( in particular steps and inclines )

My thoughts - maybe 4-5 days, perhaps based in Genoa? 2 days in Genoa, and Day trips to Portofino, Santa Margherita, Cinque Terre. How does that sound? Anything else we could do or not? Should we stay in any other location ?

How are train connections between all these places? I have done the French Riviera and is it anything as well connected? What about buses and rented cars ( parking ) ...

Do advise.

Thanks !

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in the Italian Riviera

Plenty to do in Genoa http://www.visitgenoa.it/en/homepage but it's not everyone's idea of a tourist destination - it's very much a busy commercial port. Many people might prefer to stay somewhere smaller along the coast. Don't rent a car if you're staying in central Genoa.

For the times of frequent trains along the coast see www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag first for English and entering your 'hour' of departure e.g. '13' for 13.00. Use a date this week for fares. For stations in Genoa, enter Genova Brignole for the east side of the centre and shopping, Genova Piazza Principe for the west side, and Genova Nervi for a seaside suburb with museums etc. For the Cinque Terre, enter the specific village you want, e.g. Monterosso.

Buses on the east side of Genoa are here http://www.atpesercizio.it/cartina.php - click the map for the area you want.

Dubai
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in the Italian Riviera

Thanks very much !

What do you suggest we include - is my overall plan good ? Should I include San Remo, or any other ?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in the Italian Riviera

Well, I think that if you use Genova as a "central base", the places you want to see are a bit far to one direction or another. If that much train travel every day doesn't bother you, then yes, I think your plan is good. But if you are looking at going to San Remo one day, it's 1h50min on the more expensive intercity train, and 2h30min + on the regional.

Going south east here to Monterosso (Cinque Terre) and the other part of the Riviera where Santa Margherita/Portofino (closer to Genova, some trains are as little as 20 minutes, but can be up to 50 minutes if you get certain regional trains) are located is also another train ride - it's about 1h15min+ to Monterosso (the closest village to Genova).

If you don't feel like changing hotels and such in 5 days, Genova should be fine, provided you are ok with the trains. Otherwise, maybe spend a day or two in Genova, then maybe stay in another seaside town, even in the Cinque Terre or Levanto, the rest of your time, as you will be much closer to the other things you want to see in this part of the Riviera.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 18:17
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in the Italian Riviera

In only five days, it might be easier to forget about San Remo (and indeed anywhere else west of Genoa) and confine yourself to the stretch of coast between Genoa and the Cinque Terre.

5. Re: 5 days in the Italian Riviera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 14:19