We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Cinque Terre

Brunswick Heads...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Cinque Terre

We are looking at traveling from Paris to the Cinque Terre and thinking the TGV to Torino. Anyone travelled this route? What is the best route from Torino to the Cinque Terre? Any other suggestions of a better way to travel from Paris to the Cinque Terre?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Cinque Terre

It will take you over four hours to get from Torino to any of the Cinque Terre towns, as they are not on a main high speed rail line. There are direct trains from Torino to Monterosso, that take a little over 4 hours. There are also a few direct trains to Riomaggiore, that take a little longer. To any of the other towns, you'd have to change trains one or more times. You can see schedules here, but most of the trains are regional trains, which don't have full information published for more than a week in advance, so use a day in the next week:

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

The destination has to be the name of one of the five towns. If you arrive in Torino too late to proceed to the Cinque Terre that day, you could spend a night in Torino, which is a very nice city that's overlooked by mass tourism.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Cinque Terre

Fastest and often cheapest route from Paris to the Cinque Terre is to fly EasyJet to Pisa Airport then train from around €8 in around 1.5 hours, with a change at Pisa Centrale and often la Spezia as well.

See http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html for train times from Pisa Airport to any specific Cinque Terre village, using a date this week to see all fares as tickets for journeys entirely by Regional trains are NA online more than seven days in advance. Buy these in Italy - they have no reserved seats and no advance reductions.

Use the same website for trains from Turin to a specific CT station. Note that trains from Paris arrive at Torino Porta Susa station. The Turin Metro and less frequent surface trains connect this station with Torino Porta Nuova (and Lingotto) from where trains towards the CT depart.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Cinque Terre

A few years ago I travelled from Paris to Sestri Levante, a station a few miles from the CT villages. On the outward journey we travelled direct via Milan and it took something like 11 hours, on the TGV through France you do not get much of a view due to the speed of the train. I was rather disappointed on the view from the relatively slow trai from Milan, only glimpes of the sea and a considerable number of tunnels.

On the return trip we over-nighted in Turn which I found surprisingly attactive and certaily worth a stop over. The trip to Paris was very much like the outward journey.

The alternative, as suggested above, is to take an EasyJet flight from Paris to Pisa but of couse that will mean the journey to the airport and at least a two hour boarding time. If you have the time available I would recommend a stop over in Turin .

Edited: 18 February 2013, 21:02
Brunswick Heads...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Cinque Terre

Thank you for your feedback. Have been researching your suggestions. We are traveling on Easter Friday and flights are more expensive and accommodation is tricky so we are now exploring a different itinerary. Maybe overnight train Paris to Rome??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Cinque Terre

The overnight train is neither comfortable nor romantic. There have been a number of posts about it during the past year, only one of which was favourable. If you embark on the journey with low expectations, they will probably be met.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Cinque Terre

There have been at least three favorable mentions of the overnight train, but it's also true that many people are disappointed. I've taken it (but not in the past year) and was satisfied, as has the Man in Seat 61. There was also another person, whose name I don't remember, who gave it a favorable mention, and maybe others I haven't seen.

You have to have realistic expectations. The bunks will be a bit like a YMCA camp. The toilet will be in the hall, although if you get a private compartment, you'll have a sink in the compartment. The food is mediocre and overpriced. I brought my own food and beverages aboard. It's especially important to bring a bottle of water, because, unless things have changed, the water in the carriages was not potable. In addition, some people can't sleep on a moving train. It does make some screeching noises from time to time. I had no problem and slept the entire way.

The great advantage is that you travel by night and have both the day before and day after for more pleasant activities. You travel from center city to center city, with no annoying airport transfers, nor long security lines. Also, you save a night in a hotel, and if you buy well in advance (at least a month) you can get discounted SMART fares.

7. Re: Paris to Cinque Terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 14:17