We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking ticket

San Diego
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Parking ticket

15 months after being in this town we received a traffic violation in the mail for apparently parking someplace that was a limited traffic zone. They want 78.32 euros. What happens if we ignore it? Why would it take so long? We don t recall parking anywhere that was "forbidden" but who knows with all the crazy rules there.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Parking ticket

The reason it takes so long is that the authorities goes through all the cars photographed going into restricted zones. When they find one that doesn't have the proper pass on it they must track down the owner, in this case the rental agency. They have up to 3 months to do this. The rental agency then has a specific amount of time to do the research to find out who had the car and report that information to the authorities. The authorities then have a specific amount of time to notify you of the fine. Since you are from out of the country the total amount of time to be notified is just over 18 months.

Failure to pay the fine will result in a collection agency coming after the debt and a mark against your credit.

Limited traffic zones will have a sign before you enter them. Sometimes it's simply a circle with a line drawn through it but most often it's a sign, in multiple languages, saying not to enter. All signs will have cameras after them to photograph plates.

My advice would be to pay the fine before it increases. You obviously drove into a restricted zone, regardless of meaning to or not. There should be information on the document you received as to how to pay the fine. Most of the time you can just pay online but different cities have different ways to pay.

donna

San Diego
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Parking ticket

By credit card to www.emo.nivi.it. or bank transfer. To banca sella in Florence.......does this sound legit??

78.32 E if paid within 5 days or 90.62 E if paid within 60 days. How the heck would they know if I paid within 5 days of receipt? It was sent to an old address and had to be forwarded.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Parking ticket

They know when they send it and they know how long it should take to get to the address you had listed when you rented the car. You'll pay the larger fee because it's been longer than the 5 given days.

Yes, that website is fine.

Donna

Edited: 20 July 2016, 21:41
San Diego
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Parking ticket

No i have only had it 2 days. Avis knows our correct address. No idea where they got the old one.

Turin
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Parking ticket

> By credit card to www.emo.nivi.it. or bank transfer. To banca sella in Florence.......does this sound legit??

Yes.

In Italy It's 5 days from the moment you receive the registered letter and sign the receipt that the postman will send back to the authorities. I guess somebody signed at your old address.

San Diego
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Parking ticket

I don't think they did. No one had written "please forward" on it. I also didn't have to sign for it although there was some kind of registered mail tag on the back. It just had a regular post office forwarding address sticker on it. Plus the people who live in our old house always tells us if they get any mail for us.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Parking ticket

When you go online it will have the proper amount for you to pay. If it's been beyond the 5 day period the fee will have automatically gone up. Last year my fine came in the regular mail, no signature required. All you can do is pay it and be done with it.

Donna

San Diego
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Parking ticket

I did go on line and there was a place to attest to the date received so I did that and it calculated a discount. I paid it but who knows if my statement of receiving it July 19 will be accepted.

I tried to get info from Avis but with the constant transferring of my call and the wait times I decided life was too short to waste on it. The date of the infraction seems to coincide with the day we got there. I suspect we were trying to find the hotel or something.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Parking ticket

Avis really won't have any information other than the car was photographed, the date and the plate number. They then research to see who had the car and pass that information along to the authorities.

Donna

San Diego
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Parking ticket

Thanks Donna.

Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare