We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Train ? Venice to Monterosso

cold in ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Another Train ? Venice to Monterosso

We will be traveling from Venice to Monterosso next June. I know specific train schedules are not out yet but in looking at current schedules ( should be fairly similar next June) we can ride from Venice with 1 stop through Milan or from Venice through Florence and Pisa with 2 stops . The Milan route is 2 fast trains while the Florence Pisa route requires 2 regional trains.

Which route is preferable? I am assuming the Milan one is as its only 1 stop and we can buy ticket in advance and get seat reservations. What if the 1st train from Venice is delayed missing the 2nd half of the reservation. How does that work?

Riding the Florence route with regional trains means we could end up standing, correct? We will have our luggage with us.

Thanks for any advise. I know our trip is a ways off but trying to put together our itinerary.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,213 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Train ? Venice to Monterosso

In my view, via Milan is preferable because there is only the one change of train (though plenty of stops en route) and you are in reserved seats all the way.

Trenitalia will not sell you a through icket via Milano Centrale on these trains unless you have at least the minimum required connection time of 15 minutes. With that connection time or longer, should you miss your onward train due to a late arrival from Venice, the Frecce help desk on the concourse will change your reservation free to the next available train.

If you travel via Florence, it is unlikely (though theoretically possible) that you would end up standing, but having two or three changes instead of one is not ideal.

Edited: 30 July 2016, 18:36
2. Re: Another Train ? Venice to Monterosso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2017, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare