We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Cinque Terre from Monterosso to Vernazza

San Angelo, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Cinque Terre from Monterosso to Vernazza

I have heard that the hiking from Monterosso to Vernazza is very steep. How steep? and what is the footing like? Gravelly? Slippery? How wide is the trail? Is there anything to hold onto? Will I be going up or coming down? I'm in my mid-60's and will be travelling with my husband. We work out and are both in fairly good shape, but I don't like the idea of sliding off the trail and plunging into the abyss. I really would like to hike this trail, since we are staying in Monterosso and could begin early in the morning.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,239 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Cinque Terre from Monterosso to Vernazza

It probably would be best to go to the National Parks office near the train station to check on current conditions.

United States
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Cinque Terre from Monterosso to Vernazza

There are quite a few Youtube videos showing the trail from Monterosso to Vernazza. You can view them to see the steps and path.

TAB

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Cinque Terre from Monterosso to Vernazza

It's steep and not "gravely" per se, but rocky and can be slippery by the parts where water comes from the mountain - if it has rained it can be quite slippery as the dirt turns to mud. You can find a rickety branch or fence to hold on to in some parts, but there are many where you will need to climb down with nothing to hold on to. There are only a few short portions where you can fall into a sheer drop, and those are blocked by shrubs and some terraces. You will be going up as well as coming down, since you are going up and down a tiny mountain. If you find climbing up easier (I do), start in Monterosso, I find the descent into Vernazza easier and less vertigo inducing than doing it the opposite...but remember that you are climbing up over 1000 "steps" (they are stones of varying height and size built into a mountain side, not a staircase)...my uncle is 80 and hikes it all the time with a walking stick, so do not worry, if you are in good shape and take your time, it is no problem!

San Angelo, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Cinque Terre from Monterosso to Vernazza

Thank you! This is all very helpful.

5. Re: Hiking Cinque Terre from Monterosso to Vernazza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2017, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare