We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

If I buy a ticket from Monterosso to Venice, the transfer time at Milano Centrale is only 15 minutes. I believe that the train from Monterosso to Milan is classed as a regional one. The one from Milan to Venice is a fast train. I have read that the trains to and from Monterosso are notoriously late but I'm not sure if this applies only to the line that connects the towns of the Cinque Terre or if this applies also to trains heading for Milan. If a 15 min transfer time is not realistic, I think that I could book two separate tickets, allowing a transfer time in MIlan of 1h 15 min--a longer but safer layover.

CA
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

15 minutes should not be a problem, because lots of trains do not show up on the departure board before then.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

Almost all direct trains from Monterosso are Intercity trains, with compulsory seat reservations included with your ticket. Not Regional trains. See www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en for times until December 11.

Book a connection with the 15 minute transfer. If your Intercity train arrives late and causes you to miss your booked connection, you are entitled to transfer your reservation to Venice free onto the next available train. You arrange this at the Frecce help desk on the concourse at the head of the platforms at Milano Centre - no need to go to the main ticket office.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

Unless you wish to arrange a planned meal/snack break at the station www.milanocentrale.it/en/store/index/food

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

Wow! Thank you for both of your messages. It would be nice to get to Venice sooner. If we miss the train, we can get a bite to eat at one of the places indicated in your Milano Centrale link, knowing that we can enjoy the next train to Venice.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

If I were to miss my connection onto a Frecciarossa train to Venice, am I able to travel free on any next available train (e.g., a Frecciabianca or a Frecciaroargento)?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,265 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

If you miss the connection because the first train runs late, you can get a free transfer to the next available train. If you miss because you dawdle making the change, probably not. In any case, you have to go to the Freccia desk to change your train booking.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

What I'm trying to ascertain is whether I can transfer to any other Freccia train going to Venice.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

As the Frecciarossa fares are slightly more expensive than the Frecciabianca trains on this route, I see no reason why you should not be transferred onto a Frecciabianca if this is the next available train. Whether it works the other way around, I do not know.

Shanghai, China
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

HI, we are also planning a trip from Monterosso to Venice in mid of Dec.

Found one departing 7.08am (Monterosso) and arriving Venice (12pm) with 4 train exchanges (Monterosso-La Spezia - Florence - Venice). The exchange at La Spezia allow 5 min while others more than 10min (not sure how far is distant to change another train at La Spezia ? Anyone tried this route before and any risk of missing the train ?

Are these trains running full during these period ? Do we need book now or buy on the spot ?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Monterosso to Venice--Transfer Question

It's not so much the distance to change that is the problem, but the possibility of your train from Monterosso arriving late. If that occurs and you miss your train to Pisa, you would need to have some record of it from an official, otherwise you would not be able to transfer your reservation free onto a later train from Florence to Venice and would have to buy a new ticket at the full on-the-day Base price.

You do not need to book now, though the leg from Florence to Venice is likely to be cheaper in advance.

Personally, at that time of day I would take the 06.54 departure with just the one change in Milan.

Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare