We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portofino in January

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Portofino in January

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Italy and was thinking about going to Portofino and Cinque Terre end of January. I noticed that a couple of the hotels that I'm looking into are closed from Jan-Mar. Is that because of the weather condition? Just wondering if its too cold to visit at this time of the year and if all the restaurants and shops are going to be open? We don't mind if it's a little cold as long as it's not unbearable. We are also looking to hike some of the trails in Cinque Terre. Are the roads going to be closed? We are planning to rent a car and drive from Milan.

Thanks,

Mrs Bear

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portofino in January

Weather is simply not predictable this time of year. In the last two weeks, air temperatures on the coast near me have varied from around 4 degrees Celsius to 21 (the highest being unusual), and conditions from bright sunlight to heavy cloud and pouring rain.

Many shops and restaurants dedicated entirely to tourists will be closed - particularly in the smaller Cinque Terre villages. But nearby towns with larger resident populations, such as Santa Margherita next to Portofino, will have most places open except beach facilities.

Most coastal paths in the Cinque Terre are closed parconazionale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp but higher routes should be open.

2. Re: Portofino in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 18:17