We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere special to eat with friends - 50th Birthday

Canberra
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Somewhere special to eat with friends - 50th Birthday

Four of us - two couples - plan to stay in Santa Margarita Ligure at the end of June and three of the four will be celebrating 50th birthdays around that time.

We want to have a really nice lunch in Portofino and are looking for advice about places that have good food, wonderful views and atmosphere and good service.

Suggestions???

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere special to eat with friends - 50th Birthday

Portofino is many things in my book, but a place to go eat, sadly, is not one of them. In my opinion (which is, after all, just an opinion) you are better served going elsewhere. There are plenty of places in SML that are quite good - reve I've heard is really very nice, also Acqua Pazza and I had a charming dinner al il nostromo this summer. Also, Balin in Sestri Levante is one of my favorites in the whole region, as is Miky in Monterosso, though both are maybe further then you are looking to go. Check out local places where you are staying is my advice. Alas, I've been constantly disappointed in Portofino, especially considering the price you are paying for food just as good in other villages.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 18:49
Canberra
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere special to eat with friends - 50th Birthday

This is why we ask locals and people who know the area - point taken and many thanks for the advice

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere special to eat with friends - 50th Birthday

Absolutely! and happy early birthday :)

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere special to eat with friends - 50th Birthday

Da Puny would fit the bill but reservation required and no credit cards.

I also think that La Terrazza at The Spendido is worth the effort if only for the view although it is a few years since I last ate there.

5. Re: Somewhere special to eat with friends - 50th Birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 13:15