We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Como to Varenna

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Ferry from Como to Varenna

Hello we arrive in Como on 20 March. Will there be ferries to go to Varenna? We will be staying at Varenna for 4 nights from 21st and plan to visit other villages from Varenna. Will there be ferries working that time or will we be stranded? Thanks in advance!

11 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,871 posts
1. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

Times to March 24 here www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/c_orari.asp

You won't be stranded, though only the closed fast ferries run direct from Como to Varenna. Plenty of car ferries (which take foot passengers) from Varenna to Bellagio and Menaggio.

Boats are more frequent from March 25.

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

Got it! Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,627 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

What direction are you coming from to get to Como? If you are coming from the south, it could be more convenient to take a train to Varenna.

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

I'm getting to Como from Milan Malpensa airport.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,627 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

It would be more convenient and faster to take the Malpensa Express to Milano Centrale, then a local train to Varenna and a short ferry ride to Bellagio.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
170 posts
6. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

I agree that it is more convenient to take the train from Malpensa to Milano Centrale, and then local train to Varenna. Though, the boat trip from Como to Varenna via Bellagio is very scenic, and you can also stop in Menaggio or Bellagio before you arrive at Varenna. Also the car trip is nice and could allow you to see some villages worth a visit. Local trains from Milan to Varenna are the fastest way to arrive, but do not expect very high comfort on local trains. So it is up to you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

#do not expect very high comfort on local trains.#

I found the Trenord trains on this route much better in 2016 than when I first used it in 2013.

San Francisco...
14 posts
8. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

We are also planning a trip like this, but in August. Is it possible to buy these boat tickets in advance? I’m having trouble finding a website where I can do this. Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

No, they do not sell online.

1 post
2 reviews
10. Re: Ferry from Como to Varenna

Am I able to get a fast ferry from Varenna to Como and if so how long does this take? Thank you!

Reply to: Ferry from Como to Varenna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted