We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

London, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

Hi There,

My partner and I fly to Milan tomorrow and hoping to do a day trip to Lake Como on Friday..

We are staying 2 mins away from Milano Centrale station so was wondering on an itinerary considering we need to be back in Milan for 6pm.

I was thinking Of getting the train to Varenna at 9.20 which takes 1 hour, spending a little time there, then getting the ferry to Bellagio spent time there and lunch, then going back to Como before taking the train home.

Does that work or is that too many places in what will be 6.5 hours? I guess out of that 6.5 hours, 1.5 hours will be the ferrys (20 mins to Bellagio from Varenna & 1 hour or so from Bellagio to Como)

Should i book any trains or ferrys in advance?

Thanks

Dan

20 replies to this topic
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
188 reviews
1. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

Seems a nice enough itinerary. Be aware that its about a 10-15 min walk from varenna station into the village itself. You cant book ferries in advance, its simply a case of pay on the day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,195 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

The most convenient station in Como is Como Lago, on the lakeside near the ferry terminal, but trains from there go to Milan Cadorna, which is 5 Metro stops from Centrale (Line 2). Trains from Como to Central leave from San Giovanni station, about 10 minutes' walk uphill from the waterfront.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
510 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

The 1 hour ferry to Como is the fast one. Virtually no views on this boat.

You’ll need the slow boat for that, which takes 2 hours, but a great experience.

Turn your plan around! Milan-Como-slow ferry-Bellagio-Varenna-dinner-late train-Milan

London, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
4. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

Thanks for that. Is it worth seeing anything in Como itself or should we just jump straight on the slow boat to Bellagio when we arrive at about 10ish? How do we get from San Giovanni station to get on this slow boat?

We have dinner booked in Milan so need to arrive back at centrale station by 6

Cheers

Dan

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,095 posts
478 reviews
5. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

We did Varenna - Bellagio -Como a few years back. We very much enjoyed the slow ferry from Bellagio to Como, and then we took the funicular in Como before returning to Milan from Lago station.

I would recommend doing the same, or something very similar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
6. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

Thanks, is there any reason why you would do one way or the other (Como-Bellagio-varenna OR varenna-Bellagio-Como) or does it not really matter?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
510 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

yes it does matter because the midlake is the most beautiful part. The boat trip Como-Bellagio is hence the best way to go. Otherway around is a bit of anti-climax. Skip Como-city, rather spend time at one of the midlake villa's

Having to get back in Milano at 6 really is a shame. You should really reconsider this, because you will be sorry, you will see...Lake Como (midlake that is) really is something very very special.

Edited: 20 June 2018, 17:40
London, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
8. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

But why’s it any different whether we take the train to varenna, ferry to Bellagio and then slow boat back from Bellagio to Como? Is Como to Bellagio a different route to Bellagio to Como?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,195 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

If you look out of the back of the boat, you get the same views travelling from Bellagio to Como as you to if you look forward when travelling the other way.

I usually recommend that people travel to Varenna first, as there can be problems buying train tickets in Varenna. If you go first to Como, buy the Varenna-Milan tickets before you leave Milan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
10. Re: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como

Right so most people are saying that going to Varenna first is the best option.

So with that in mind we’ll get the 9.20 train from Milano centrale (we are at the I-days festival day before so earlier is probs not gonna happen). This gets us to Varenna for 10.23 so will spend an hour or so here before getting the 20 min boat to Bellagio. We’ll then look to spend around 2.5 hours here with some lunch before taking the 2 hour boat to Como arriving 4.30ish. We’ll then take a train back to Milan centrale from San Giovanni at about 5.30. Would love to stay longer but we can’t.

Does that work?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to: Day Trip from Milan to Lake Como
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted