We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Varenna from Milan

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Day trip to Varenna from Milan

We are planning a day trip to Varenna this July. Can you buy train tickets from Milan to Varenna the day you are going at the train station or should you buy in advance? Does the train sell out?

Can you buy your return to Milan train ticket in Varenna or should you buy round trip in Milan? I'm not sure what time we want to come back so I am hesitating on buying a roundtrip ticket, but don't want to be stranded in Varenna. If I do buy a roundtrip ticket, can we get on the train before or after our timed ticket?

Lastly, we would like to take a one hour private boat tour of the lake starting from either Varenna or Bellagio. Do you have to book in advance or can you just go on one the day you are there? Not sure how the weather will be so wanted to wait until we are there.

Thank you for any information or tips!

7 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
488 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Varenna from Milan

Its a regional train so wont make any difference to buying on the day , and similar for return its about 7 euro each way they run until about 8 30 in the evening .

Can not really advise about the boat , it is towards peak period but I would think you could wait for the day as its likely not cheap if what I was quoted to get to Villa Balbianello privately was anything to go by .

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Varenna from Milan

Great thank you! Do you know if I can buy return ticket in Varenna?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,677 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Varenna from Milan

There are no round trip tickets. In Milan, buy two one-way tickets that can be used in either direction.

Tickets for local trains bought in Italy can be bought in advance. They are issued for travel on a specified day, and can be used on any train that day. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a machine at the station.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Varenna from Milan

Thank you so very much! I appreciate it!

Paula

Surrey
Level Contributor
21 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Varenna from Milan

Hi Paula S

We travelled from Milan Centrale to Varenna & return today. We bought our tickets the night before,from a machine at the station, as it was convenient for us but this is not necessary. We bought first class return tickets but there are no first class seats on this service. Second class is perfectly fine, it's just annoying that we paid the extra. When buying we were asked to choose train times but as it was, we just caught the train that suited us on the day. Enjoy your trip- we did.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Varenna from Milan

Thank you so very much! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. So glad you had a great trip!

7. Re: Day trip to Varenna from Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2018, 21:31

Reply to: Day trip to Varenna from Milan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted